Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tpr F.A. Skuse K.L.H. rare clasp combination 7 years 7 months ago #47767

• crypt
  • crypt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 179
Afternoon all

Another QSA with Defence of Kimberley and Paardeberg, but he also received the Relief of Mafeking clasp.

Just 26 such combinations according to the roll by Dave Willis, the majority to KLH, with one to Army Vet. Dept, two to Cape Police, two to Kimberley Town Guard and one to Kimberley Volunteer Regt.

Francis Augustus Skuse born England 24 January 1864, a rigger by trade from Durban, first appears on the nominal roll for the Protectorate Regiment, but was discharged due to misconduct on 9th September 1899, barely 3 weeks after he attested.
We next find him in Kimberely where he served as 1296 Trooper before being discharged after 13 months service 8th December 1900

Interesting the medal roll is annoted as "name expunged from roll" rather ominous I thought, never seen that before

We next find him as 404 Trooper, 2nd ILH where he earned his Transvaal clasp. Again the roll annoted as "expunge name" His service here totaled 1 year and 51 days.

Finally he enlisted in Steinaeckers Horse at Durban on 4th March 1902 before being discharged at PMB on 25th August 1902. He would earn a Transvaal clasp for this service.

All rolls are cross referenced to each other, he is missing a KSA named to Steinaeckers Horse.

If anyone has any medals to Skuse please let me know as I have his two brothers medals as well as another, his father I presume
Tpr James Charles Skuse - ILH -, QSA, CC, TVL, Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, also Agent F.I.D.
Pte C.E. Skuse - Railway Pioneer Regt -, KSA, SA1901, SA1902 (missing QSA)
C.Skuse Ord, - HMS Superb -, Egypt Medal, Alexandria 11th July (could be father?)

Regards
Jon
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tpr F.A. Skuse K.L.H. rare clasp combination 7 years 7 months ago #47768

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
That's a fabulous combination Jon!

I have two Skuses on the DoK roll

Skuse, 1296 Tpr Francis Augustus, KLH. QSA (4) RoM DoK Paar Tr. Discharged 8 Dec 00. Also served StH. KSA (2)

Skuse, Dvr W, De Beers Maxim Battery. QSA (1) DoK. Served at the Botanical Gardens

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Tpr F.A. Skuse K.L.H. rare clasp combination 7 years 6 months ago #48294

• crypt
  • crypt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 179
David

Thanks for that, one wonders if after his discharge in Mafeking, he would have had 3 weeks before it was invested, and made his way to Kimberley and perhaps W Skuse was a relative who offered him support in Kimberley, still a lot of research to do on this.

Jon

Tpr F.A. Skuse K.L.H. rare clasp combination 7 years 2 months ago #51390

• sahpa2000
  • Never, ever, ever give up!!!
  • Thank you received: 29
Hi Jon,
Here is another example of DoK and Paardeberg, yours is very close to mine on the list (as attached).

Regards
Eric de Jager(SAHPA2000)
South African History Protection Association
Since 2000

Tpr F.A. Skuse K.L.H. rare clasp combination 7 years 2 months ago #51490

• FSburgher
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello Eric and others
Could you please scan and send page 6 & 7 of the QSA medal roll attached below.
My great uncle D R Whitfield served in in KTG then joined Col Mohan and the K Mtd Corps helping with the relief of Mafeking.
I'm interested to know what his full entitlement was ? and to confirm whether he was commissioned?

Can anyone confirm whether there is a medal roll for the Kimberley Mayor's Star ?
Could a QSA / KSA duo to a Pte in the Gloucestershire Rgt be entitled to a K Star?
I look forward to feedback
regards to all the medal and history buffs
Tkx Evyn

Tpr F.A. Skuse K.L.H. rare clasp combination 7 years 2 months ago #51491

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Evyn,

My records for D Whitfield say:

Whitfield, Pte D, KTG QSA (1) DoK No II Section, B Company, Beaconsfield Town Guard

I have double checked the roll and there is no indication of subsequent service - sorry.

There is no known roll for the Kimberley Star.

As to the Kimberley Star to the Gloucester Regiment, I would highly doubt it. The Regiment was involved in the Relief so perhaps it was a later addition to his group? Do you know the clasps on the QSA or the man's name?

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.013 seconds