• Page:

TOPIC:

Miniature Bronze QSA medal 7 years 3 months ago #51009

• DeanHall
  • DeanHall's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has a MINIATURE Bronze QSA MEDAL in their collection. Do these miniature Medals exist?Would be great to see some pics. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Miniature Bronze QSA medal 7 years 3 months ago #51014

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315
Miniature medals had no status as official awards initially and were only really worn in mess dress and produced by independent produces for the tailoring trade. Bronze campaign medals were generally awarded to civilians and ranks below that of soldiers - menials. Therefore no demand for miniature medals for mess dress and hence no manufacture. If there was any produced for purchase by recipients I would be most surprised. May be for the collector trade. Most recipients would be in court rather than at court. As an aside I can not even think I have seen a photo of a "native" ( not from Britain et al ) wearing miniatures. Hope that is of help.
ATB
David
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

Miniature Bronze QSA medal 7 years 3 months ago #51023

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
I have never seen one. Miniatures were more the type of thing an officer had made up by his tailor, and since a bronze was issued to native followers etc. they were not in a position to want miniatures. I would consider any I saw to be of modern manufacture unless there was compelling evidence otherwise.

It would be interesting though!

Miniature Bronze QSA medal 7 years 3 months ago #51026

• Baden Powell
  • Thank you received: 34
Very Interesting Question - Some years ago I purchased a mini QSA/KSA Mounted Pair from Chris Dixon as a present for one of my grandsons. So they do exist. I will ask him to loan it to me. I also have a Miniature QSA in Gold. The suspension is that of a small ring attached front to back rather than side to side. I have always assumed it to have been made as a charm or watch chain piece. It appears to have been struck using a QSA Miniature die pair. As best as I can recall I purchased it in Brighton at a jewelry shop. I asked if they had any Medals and was handed a medium sized cardboard box about half full of all sorts of medals. Trios were separated. All were in disarray and all without ribbons. This miniature was at the bottom with all other miniatures, the work of gravity.
All my previous attempts to send photos have not worked but I will try again. Maybe I should ask a ggson or gggson to show me how.
Does anyone else know of miniQSA in gold?
Baden Powell

Miniature Bronze QSA medal 7 years 3 months ago #51029

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315

Baden Powell wrote: Some years ago I purchased a mini QSA/KSA Mounted Pair from Chris Dixon as a present for one of my grandsons.
Baden Powell

Perhaps telling - preemptive production of a bronze KSA by the jewelry trade before the regulations were promulgated and realization that distribution of the bronze QSA would be limited. I don't suppose the bronze QSA had clasps?
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

Miniature Bronze QSA medal 7 years 3 months ago #51033

• Baden Powell
  • Thank you received: 34
GMorning David - You are correct in assumption Bronze QSA/KSA pair had no Clasps. I do not recall if the pin on the rev had a name of maker. One more reason to look at them. While grandson lives here in Houston, he is in his final year of Law School and is quite busy (as well as getting engaged at Christmas). I will tell his dad, our middle son, another QSA collector, who incidentally got me reinterested.
On the subject of Clasps in Bronze, while on a UK visit in April, 1956, to the London Arms Fair, we drove about for another week. We came acros a Medal Fair being held at some kind of Lodge/Club and while browsing I saw a number of full sized Bronze Clasps that looked "New". Assuming the worst (remakes) I did not bother to buy one of each. Should have.
Will follow up in due course.
Baden Powell
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Grant

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.484 seconds