Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

ABO to a Sersant 7 years 3 months ago #51346

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Which really does go an awful way, to show to all, without any doubt whatsoever, what a truly wonderful archive this site has become!

djb wrote: I count 99, Rory.

Would you be able to add to his page in the ABO section please? angloboerwar.com/forum/surname-h/15553-hartman-s-j-sers#31557

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ABO to a Sersant 7 years 3 months ago #51355

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2142
Thanks to all - yes I will most certainly "flesh him out" David once I've received the Vorm B which should reveal all.

I echo Frank's sentiments apropos the wonderful archive this site has become.

Regards

Rory

ABO to a Sersant 7 years 3 months ago #51416

• Rory
This chap has a very interesting Vorm B! Seems he was "in charge" of the Artillery at some stage providing Artillery support to a number of General's (De Wet, De La Rey etc.) and was at the Battle of Modder River going on to Bethlehem.

He was taken POW and was interned in various places in India. (See attached)

Regards

Rory
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

ABO to a Sersant 7 years 3 months ago #51417

• Frank Kelley
Hello Rory,
Good heavens, just superb, I wonder if he actually knew that awful wretched Potsdam monster, Major Friedrich Albrecht, who had, actually been in command of the OVS Artillery at Belmont, Enslin Siding and Modder River, after, in effect, turning it into a modern Corps, at the request of OVS Government before the war?
Well, perhaps not socially, but, an interesting thought?
A really very good and very scarce medal indeed, certainly a wonderful find!
Regards Frank
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

ABO to a Sersant 7 years 2 months ago #51530

• Rory
Hartman's Vorm B. completed as it was in Dutch, most likely posed a problem or two for some members. With the assistance of Henk Loots I provide a translation into English. Please note some of the words were hard/imposssible to decipher.

The photo below has Hartman in the middle, front row.

• Gen Hertzog knows that I managed guns under him
• I left here on the last ship as prisoner to Kakool Camp in India and later to Abadneger (Camp) and signed after 31 May 1902 and came back. We were 200 men and 500 remained , refusing to sign before Genl de la Rey got there. Old uncle Sarel le Roux from or not residing on (??) Potchefstroom, Harry van der Spuy residing on Spruite, PO Rooikraal, Potchefstroom left the 500 behind. He knows my history. I served under various General(s) during the war.
• NB I served under Gen Theunissen until he was wounded and captured with 100 men (but) I charged out with my guns and (served) again under Gen de la Rey, Gen de Wet, Gen Piet de Wet, Gen Prinsloo, Kom Naude, Veldkornet Gideon Blignaut. Gen Hertzog was our Artillery ??...?? but I did not find him: he was on the run with Pres Steyn

Hartman had a very interesting war but more anon when I complete his write-up. I also attach pictures of the medal. As can be seen the naming is of the later style - he only applied in 1941 when he was 71 years old and his son was a member of the Permanent Force (Artillery) - I have his medals as well.

Regards

Rory
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Brett Hendey, Frank Kelley

ABO to a Sersant 7 years 2 months ago #51533

• Frank Kelley
Rory, what an absolutely superb photograph, the uniforms and hats, complete with the OVS Artillery badges, the latter, somewhat ironically, made here in Great Britain, a wonderful image, moreover, I would suggest well before the war too!
Is there an inscription on it's reverse?

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.144 seconds