Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Medal records of Prince of Wales Light Horse issued by South African Light Horse 7 years 2 months ago #51893

• davidhall1001
  • davidhall1001's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Trooper 25949 B S Tomlin enlisted in the POWLH saw service in Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal. resigning in July 1901 and was awarded the Queen’s South Africa Medal,

He has a medal sheet for the POWLH with no date/record of issue for the medals and the second medal record sheet giving a Regimental Number of 32346 in the South African Light Horse showing a cross reference to the Prince of Wales Light Horse (in remarks column) the medals were issued on 25th September 1903.

Regimental numberi 32346 with his name in the record for the South Africa Light Horse roll appears to be an administrative number used, after the war, purely for the issue of medals, as The Prince of Wales L. H. was disbanded on New Years Eve 1901

Would this be a correct assumption

I am aware Reg No 32347 was actually issued to another unrelated soldier.

I am unable to attach copies of roll due to size

Kind Regards

David Hall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medal records of Prince of Wales Light Horse issued by South African Light Horse 7 years 2 months ago #51895

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Numbers were issued to members of the SAMIF by the particular regiment and were unique to a man whilst actually serving in a particular regiment, Benjamin Tomlin served in the Prince of Wales Light Horse from the 4th of January 1901 until his discharge on the 13th of July that same year.
It would be worth you looking at WO126/101-103 at Kew, in the hope his original paper has survived.

Medal records of Prince of Wales Light Horse issued by South African Light Horse 7 years 2 months ago #51898

• davidhall1001
  • davidhall1001's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks

I have obtained documents from Kew concerning attestation and discharge and dates are as stated by you there is no reference to his service with the S A L H

Benjamins medals were recorded as issued on 25th Sept 1903 under a Supplementary Roll of individuals in South African Light Horse entitled to medals and clasps, - what I am assuming is that this is purely an administrative document used for the issue of the medals as the P O W L H was disbanded

Hopefully a copy is attached but I think the file is too big
Attachments:

Medal records of Prince of Wales Light Horse issued by South African Light Horse 7 years 2 months ago #51899

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidhall1001

Medal records of Prince of Wales Light Horse issued by South African Light Horse 7 years 2 months ago #51903

• Frank Kelley
Benjamin Tomlin served in BOTH regiments, as very clearly shown in WO100, so his entitlement is given for BOTH regiments, service in more than one regiment is very common in the SAMIF, however, a particular man, could only be entitled to a single medal, this was issued by ONE regiment only, it was possible to receive two medals in error, such errors were rare.
There are plenty of medals named to the Prince of Wales LH, some to individuals who served in other regiments.
I should look in WO126/130-138 for his paper, if present it will give you his exact period as a serving member of the SALH.

davidhall1001 wrote: Thanks

I have obtained documents from Kew concerning attestation and discharge and dates are as stated by you there is no reference to his service with the S A L H

Benjamins medals were recorded as issued on 25th Sept 1903 under a Supplementary Roll of individuals in South African Light Horse entitled to medals and clasps, - what I am assuming is that this is purely an administrative document used for the issue of the medals as the P O W L H was disbanded

Hopefully a copy is attached but I think the file is too big

The following user(s) said Thank You: davidhall1001

Medal records of Prince of Wales Light Horse issued by South African Light Horse 7 years 2 months ago #51905

• Frank Kelley
I am sorry for not making myself clear enough in my original post, so to answer your particular question;

No, it is not a correct assumption, Tomlin was a serving member of the SALH and was entitled to a medal and clasps for his service in that regiment, which itself, was actually disbanded at Elandsfontein on the 7th of July 1902.

davidhall1001 wrote:
Regimental numberi 32346 with his name in the record for the South Africa Light Horse roll appears to be an administrative number used, after the war, purely for the issue of medals, as The Prince of Wales L. H. was disbanded on New Years Eve 1901

Would this be a correct assumption

I am aware Reg No 32347 was actually issued to another unrelated soldier.

I am unable to attach copies of roll due to size

Kind Regards

David Hall

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.658 seconds