Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Single Bar KSA's ..... 7 years 3 weeks ago #52243

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1870
Good Morning Everyone.....

I was going through some copies of old duplicate OMRS Journals last night that I am selling at a military show next week and I found......

An article by Patrick Street who I recognize has written a number of articles on the BW and the QSA/KSA.......

His article is about the single bar KSA, and gives estimated numbers per regiment after he went through the KSA rolls (Imperial Only).....

In the article he mentions that even though the normal is a KSA with a SA02 being the single bar there is a possibility of a KSA with an SA01 bar......

He states that he has never seen a verified one and I can also say that I have never seen one.......

My question is, has any member of the forum has seen or has a verified KSA with SA01 as a single bar in their collection......

Mike

O.M.R.S. Journal, Vol. 31, Spring 1992, No. 1 (214)
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Single Bar KSA's ..... 7 years 3 weeks ago #52244

• QSAMIKE

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=DavidBig-ABW-PRD-5bff6a2ad-934180e3&siteid=3&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=142291457845&version=889&trackingid=djb023&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Single Bar KSA's ..... 7 years 3 weeks ago #52250

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=DavidBig-ABW-PRD-5bff6a2ad-934180e3&siteid=3&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=142291457845&version=889&trackingid=djb023&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Single Bar KSA's ..... 7 years 3 weeks ago #52251

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 241
Hi Mike

I have:

Driver Reuben Goodman, South African Service Corps, Bethune’s Mounted Infantry and Transport Stock Riders

Driver R. Goodman, South African Service Corps, Bethune’s Mounted Infantry and Transport Stock Riders - a rare recipient of a single clasp K.S.A.
Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 3 clasps, Natal, Transvaal, Orange Free State (425 Tpr., Bethune’s M.I.) clasps mounted in that order; King’s South Africa 1901-02, 1 clasp, South Africa 1901 (81 Tpr., Tnspt. Stock Rdrs.); 1914-15 Star (Pte., 11th Infantry); British War and Bilingual Victory Medals (Dvr., S.A.S.C.) fine and better (5)
Footnote
Reuben Goodman, a Jew, served as a Trooper 425 in Bethune’s Mounted Infantry, 23 November 1899-13 November 1900; then as Trooper 22540 in the C.-in-C’s Bodyguard, 17 November 1900-16 May 1901; lastly serving as Trooper 81 with the Transport Stock Riders. In the Great War he served with the 11th Infantry, time expired 15 November 1915, and in the South African Service Corps, being demobilised on 14 May 1919.
Reuben Goodman was the son of Abraham Goodman, of 174 Bury New Road, Higher Broughton, Manchester, England. He was a bookkeeper, and lived at the Royal Hotel, Plein Street, Johannesburg.

Attachments:

Single Bar KSA's ..... 7 years 3 weeks ago #52258

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Mike
Attached is a trio containing a KSA with a single "SA1901" clasp; CGS clasps "Transkei" and "Basutoland" to Corp. R.H.Glencross, Willoughby's Horse
QSA clasps "Orange Free State", "Transvaal" and "Laing's Nek" to Leader RHG Glencross, A.S.C.
KSA clasp "SA1901" only, to 1210 Condtr. R.H.G.Glencross, A.S.C.

Single "South Africa 1901" clasp confirmed on the KSA roll. Admittedly, Glencross is not an Imperial - but there you are.

Single clasp KSAs to Imperials are scarce. Sometimes, there are variations on the single clasp KSA theme; as follows

QSA clasps CC/OFS/Tvaal (riveted together but not attached to the medal's suspension) and SA1901 (loose) to 9224 Cpl. J.W.Campbell, 20th Coy., 6th Imp.Yeo.
KSA clasp "SA1902" (attached with proper rivets) to Lieut. J.W.Campbell, Scot: Horse I.Y.

In Campbell's case, his QSA was issued and presented to him by the King (either with or without his clasps) on a certain date, the "SA1901" clasp came later and the KSA was issued later still, with the "SA1902" clasp only. The KSA roll noted the SA1901 clasp "issued from another roll".
Some time ago, there was some comment about such issues as being "bogus"; my Collins English Dictionary defines that as meaning "not genuine".
IL firmly disputes the use of that term. If a KSA shows clear evidence of being issued as a single clasp (even if the recipient was supposed to add another date clasp - and he did not) then that is good enough for your correspondent.
Regards
IL.
Attachments:

Single Bar KSA's ..... 7 years 3 weeks ago #52259

• QSAMIKE
Thank You Every one for your examples.......

In the original article as I stated he had only checked the Imperial Roll's....... He did say that the chances of South African units having KSA's with SA01 bars was a lot greater.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.825 seconds