• Page:

TOPIC:

THE FIFTH CONTINGENT DCM AWARD 7 years 6 days ago #52594

• Bilko
  • Bilko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
All you say is true, and today I did find a mention as you say in the London Gazette No. 27382 p. 8555 for gallantry in action. There are a few errors in his records, one I found, was on 8/3/1901, for a mention in despatches, but after checking records, I found he was aboard a ship travelling to S.Africa, so it would be very likely an error in a report.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

THE FIFTH CONTINGENT DCM AWARD 7 years 6 days ago #52595

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Bilko
During the South African war, all ranks could be awarded the Victoria Cross, Officers could be awarded the Distinguished Service Order and other ranks could be awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. Below that hierarchy, there was the Mention in Despatches. The MiD was regarded quite highly and sometimes it was just a "mention" and at other times the mention included details. There was no other outward mark of a soldier being "mentioned" at that time (no symbol to wear on the campaign ribbon). Sometimes, written accounts by participants had assumed that a "mention" would be followed by a decoration. Not always the case.
Every officer and Soldier who served in SA (and who did not blot their copy-book) was eligible for a campaign medal or medals - much the same as in your time.
You are very fortunate to have discovered the unit records with the Ladies' Temperance Group. Over the years, many such records have simply been lost or obscurely slotted away. Some time ago, I was pleased and surprised to encounter much information on the NSW IB in the NSW State Archives. Nothing else about the ABW. Just that.
I ampleased we have been able to provide a little assistance in your quest.
Regards
IL
(For completeness, I should also say that Senior Officers and others could be awarded such as the CB, etc., for SA service).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds