Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KITCHENERS FIGHTING SCOUTS - MEDAL ENTITLEMENT AND TROOPERS WITH SAME NAME? 7 years 6 days ago #52577

• KFS
  • KFS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there - I am a bit of a novice to the site and am a bit confused over a few things that hopefully someone can help me with.
I have been lucky to recently acquire the KSA Medal awarded to Trooper T. Hall of the 2nd Kitchener's Fighting Scouts who I know died of enteric fever in 1902 in Kroonstad.
However on searching this site and the roll of honour database i see two T. Halls of the KFS listed. One says Trooper T Hall died of enteric fever 25/02/02 and the other says Trooper Thomas Hall died 24/02/02. Would this be the same man as it seems quite a coincidence?
Also I was wondering if anyone new what the other medal QSA entitlement for 347 Trooper Hall might have been. As far as I know he enlisted in Durban 30/07/01 and I didn't think this would have made him eligible for a KSA medal?
Having searched the Web I think he might be the same man listed on the Saltwell Park War Memorial although on there he is mentioned as a Private with the KFS.
I have seen two dates of death mentioned the 24th and 25th of February 1902 so I am a bit puzzled.
Can anyone provide some clarity for me.
Many thanks Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KITCHENERS FIGHTING SCOUTS - MEDAL ENTITLEMENT AND TROOPERS WITH SAME NAME? 7 years 6 days ago #52579

• KFS
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
These are pictures of two T Halls of the Kitcheners Fighting Scouts I have found but still not sure if they are the same man.
Attachments:

KITCHENERS FIGHTING SCOUTS - MEDAL ENTITLEMENT AND TROOPERS WITH SAME NAME? 7 years 6 days ago #52581

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
WO100/362, the 2nd KFS KSA roll, confirms Thomas Hall's entitlement to his KSA and clasps as well as his other service in the Railway Pioneer Regiment and the Imperial Light Horse and suggests he died on the 24th of February 1902, a glance at Watt, suggests it was actually the 25th of February.
I think the best thing for you to do would be to go into WO126/76-82 at Kew and see what his regiment had to say, a great shame to loose your life in that way, but, a common occurrence, 2nd KFS was one of the best anti commando regiments to ever set out onto the veldt in the whole war, the final months were particularly intense.

KITCHENERS FIGHTING SCOUTS - MEDAL ENTITLEMENT AND TROOPERS WITH SAME NAME? 7 years 6 days ago #52586

• KFS
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for the extra information Frank. I hadn't realised he also served with the Railway Pioneers and the Light Horse. I think I've just found his attestation papers for the Pioneers showing him discharged due to drunkenness prior to joining the KFS. Will definitely now check out the records you mentioned to try and confirm his date of death. He is really coming to life for me now and is one of the many who won't be forgotten. Regards Chris

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.400 seconds