TOPIC:

Medals to the ILH (Imperial Light Horse) 6 years 11 months ago #52833

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
(Can't believe this thread does not already exist!)

Picture courtesy of DNW

BSACM, reverse undated (2) Mashonaland 1890, Matabeleland 1893 (Tpr. Barry, J. W. Pioneers.) the second clasp a cast copy;
QSA (4) RoM TH RoL Tr (Capt. J. W. Barry, Imp: Lt: Horse);
KSA (2) (Capt. J. W. Barry. Imp. L.H.);
1914-15 Star (Capt. J. W. Barry Staff.);
British War and Bilingual Victory Medals (Capt. J. W. Barry.)

Only 11 medals issued with these two clasps, including 6 to the Pioneers. Just 30 Matabeleland 1893 clasps were issued in total.

The following report on the death of Captain Barry was published in The African World in November 1935:

‘Captain J. W. Barry, one of the eight remaining members of the 1890 Pioneer Corps resident in Southern Rhodesia, died in Salisbury Hospital a few weeks ago. Captain Barry was one of the 22 early pioneers who were presented with the freedom of the city at the last Occupation Day ceremony on September 12.

Jack Barry was born at Swellendam, Cape Province, on August 10, 1863, he was for some years in the service of the Standard Bank. He went to Barberton in 1885 and afterwards to Johannesburg. On leaving the bank in 1886 he joined the Johannesburg Stock Exchange and was one of the pioneers of the Witwatersrand.

When volunteers were called for Rhodes’ Pioneer Corps Captain Barry, with 12 men from the Rand, joined the expedition on May 22, 1890, at Mafeking. He accompanied the column to Salisbury and was present at the hoisting of the Union Jack at Fort Salisbury, signifying the formal occupation of Mashonaland. After the disbandment of the column Captain Barry began prospecting for gold in a party in which were the Hon. Lionel Cripps and Messrs. Charles and Harry Lovemore. They worked in Mazoe Valley, where Captain Barry found ancient workings and pegged them.

Serving with the Imperial Light Horse in the Anglo-Boer War Captain Barry was at the relief of Ladysmith and the relief of Mafeking. In the Great War he served in the South-West African Campaign [with the Cape Peninsular Rifles in Botha’s Army, 1 October 1914 to 13 August 1916] and afterwards went to France with the 1st Cape Native Labour Corps.

In 1928 Captain Barry was appointed first Curator of the Victoria Falls. With the well-known sculptor, Reid Dick, he was responsible for the selection of the site for the David Livingstone Memorial at Devil’s Cataract.’
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the ILH (Imperial Light Horse) 6 years 11 months ago #52837

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
David
Thank you for showing this group. By my standards it is as good as it gets for an ILH man.
There must be dozens of ILH groups in various posts on this forum. Perhaps some of the better ones should be reposted on this thread?
Regards
Brett

Medals to the ILH (Imperial Light Horse) 6 years 11 months ago #52839

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Brett,

Yes, there are lots of ILH groups in the forum. It would be great to collate them here to honour their work.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the ILH (Imperial Light Horse) 6 years 11 months ago #52840

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
His second clasp on the BSACM reminded me very much of the Gordon's Star.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the ILH (Imperial Light Horse) 6 years 11 months ago #52841

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
David
Can this be done? That is to say, can the posts in other areas dealing with the ILH be switched to this topic? I have contributed a few over the years and I could do them again if they cannot be switched.
Best regards
IL.

Medals to the ILH (Imperial Light Horse) 6 years 11 months ago #52847

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
They can, I believe, be moved between posts. The only complication is they they pre-date yesterday's post so I need to do some testing on the test site.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.518 seconds