Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

For Sale Defence of Mafeking Group 6 years 11 months ago #53263

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Gentlemen
The Walker Mafeking Siege Register shows "173 Gilbert, William, Cpl." was a member of D Sqn., Prot.Regt. His QSA with clasps as shown was sold in 2/1994 at Hamers, Switzerland. Apparently, there were/are a few addressed "covers" extant addressed to this chap.
If the group went inexpensively and the QSA's naming was OK, an interested person could obtain a nice medal and do what he liked with the rest.
Regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

For Sale Defence of Mafeking Group 6 years 11 months ago #53265

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
It is a lovely group, but some of that naming looks burr engraved to me, but it is hard to tell. I desperately want such a lovely group but think I will pass. Shame really.

For Sale Defence of Mafeking Group 6 years 11 months ago #53267

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448

LinneyI wrote: Gentlemen
The Walker Mafeking Siege Register shows "173 Gilbert, William, Cpl." was a member of D Sqn., Prot.Regt. His QSA with clasps as shown was sold in 2/1994 at Hamers, Switzerland. Apparently, there were/are a few addressed "covers" extant addressed to this chap.
If the group went inexpensively and the QSA's naming was OK, an interested person could obtain a nice medal and do what he liked with the rest.
Regards
IL.

I looked at the Siege Register last night as well. "Hamers" should read Harmers, they are a philatelic auctioneer based in Switzerland. The Siege Register is not too clear, there is a box with the QSA clasp details and the auction information. It is not clear whether the auction was for a medal or the covers noted in elsewhere in Gilbert's entry.

I decided the entry related to the covers and not the medal. Where else would Walker get the information about the covers than from a auction catalogue. The clasp information comes from the medal roll.

The group is mounted for wear and covered in cleaning fluid - a very good job of fakery? I would think this is as mounted as worn by Gilbert albeit with some dodgy medals.

Regards
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

For Sale Defence of Mafeking Group 6 years 10 months ago #53269

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2120
I think everyone has made valid points about this group - the bottom line is that it is wrong.

No reflection on the vendor but (benefit of the doubt perhaps) Mr Gilbert added to his rack with the inclusion of (at least) the KSA. There are papers on FMP relating to his Egypt Medal and clasps but they, of course, predate all other conflicts he was involved in. The Natal Rebellion, although entitled to it on the roll, is also either a late issue or possibly renamed - I have over 20 of these and none are named in this style.

Apropos the WWI trio - one assumes that they are South African issue but, without the regiment named on the medals - they are also questionable as even late issue SA medals carried the name of the regiment on the rim. Inopportunely that SANDF Archives are closed whilst they move making it impossible to determine the veracity of the WWI issue.

Regards

Rory

For Sale Defence of Mafeking Group 6 years 10 months ago #53272

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=DavidBig-ABW-PRD-5bff6a2ad-934180e3&siteid=3&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=222489509094&version=889&trackingid=djb023&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

For Sale Defence of Mafeking Group 6 years 10 months ago #53431

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Well it sold......

Don't know if it less than he expected or paid for it.......

$1712.02 US or 22,978 Rand

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.095 seconds