Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 7 years 9 months ago #47008

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
David, Brett, Rory and Meurig
Thanks for the kind comments on my most recent post on Wepener and Sapper Wright. As some might have already suspected, I have long had an interest in the Wepener siege (ever since obtaining a trio from Stan Kaplan - COGH/QSA(including Wepener)/KSA to a Cpl., CMR) back in 1975. The key to the defence was what I might term "multi layering"; the layout of the trenches allowed mutual support, the lads in the trenches had grit and were well led, and repairs to the defences were rapid and effective.
Like Meurig, I would love to walk the Wepener defences - and the maps I have seen are - of course - "pictorial representations of part of the earth's surface". Unit positions during the defence would have been fluid, anyway.
Like many others, I await with great interest David's "Wepener Siege Account and Medal Roll".
Best regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 7 years 9 months ago #47016

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
I have already reviewed, corrected and updated the Wepener clasp for The Register.

Trying to separate out 1 & 2 Brabant's Horse for the Wepener clasp is an interesting exercise as many men served in both sections.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Re: QSAs with the clasp Wepener 7 years 7 months ago #48102

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500

Picture courtesy of Medals of England

A VERY RARE "WEPENER" QUEEN'S SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL.
To: 3232 Cpl A.T. BOND CAPE MOUNTED RIFLES. (Later served in BASUTO POLICE )
The South Africa 1901 clasp was issued separately by BASUTO POLICE (Roll confirms) and is lose fitted to it's 'ORIGINAL RIBBON' as issued.
A VERY RARE "WEPENER" FIVE CLASP QUEENS SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL. To: 3232. Corporal A.T. BOND. CAPE MOUNTED RIFLES. (Later served in BASUTO POLICE)
ANOTHER VERY RARE "FIVE CLASP" WEPENER ....NOT SEEN AT AUCTION FOR A GREATLY EXTENDED PERIOD (Lot 101 DNW April 2001)
VF+ with ORIGINAL COTTON & SILK RIBBON
£845

Good grief!

While most Wepener combinations comprise 4 clasps (1290 medals or 63%), there are 216 (10%) 5 clasps medals. I think there are some 27 6 clasps medals and two 7 clasp medals (according to my research so far).

Bond's SA01 was issued off the CMR supplementary roll (WO100/241p67) and two notes says 'clasp issued from loose clasps through Colonial Office 31.10.11' and 'Transferred Basuto Police 30/5/01'

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Re: QSAs with the clasp Wepener 7 years 4 months ago #49550

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I saw this Wepener QSA with clasps CC Wep Tr Witt named to 702 Pte C. R. C. Glenister. Queenstown R. V. This is the first Wepener I have seen to the QRV and it is confirmed on the rolls for 1st Brabants's Horse and QRV.

The Supplementary Rolls suggest both SA01 and SA02, possibly converted into a KSA (which I have yet to confirm).

This recipient was called Charles Ronald Colder. It appears that he with Sydenham Lyonidas Glenister both served in the SAMIF after Brabant's Hose but only C R C Glenister went on the QRV.

There are attestation papers for both Glenisters which I will seek out.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Re: QSAs with the clasp Wepener 7 years 4 months ago #49551

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I have found the KSA (2) for CRC Glenister, QRV on WO100/364p101.

This says he served in Brabant's Horse 12 Feb 1900 to 19 Feb 1901 and QRV 8 May 1901 to 31 May 1902. A note says 'Service SAMIF checked'. The Roll is dated 30 Apr 1904 in Queenstown and countersigned in Cape Town 12 June 1906.
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 7 years 4 months ago #49667

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Wepener clasps do seem rather scarce on the market these days, given the very considerable prices now being sought by so many dealers for medals such as the much vaunted Defence of Kimberley, perhaps these do now represent better value for money.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.712 seconds