Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 9 years 2 weeks ago #26531

• mike rowan
  • Thank you received: 88
I too have recently acquired a QSA with a questionable Wepener clasp. The medal is to 1176 Tpr C E Jarvis, Steinaeckers Horse. Bill Woolmore's book tells me that Charles Elijah Jarvis was entitled to a QSA ( Transvaal) and a KSA. He said that .." Although his QSA medal appeared in 1999 fitted with a clasp for Wepener this entitlement could not be found on the medal rolls " So the question is - do I replace the clasp with the correct Transvaal clasp or do I leave it as is in the hope that he is eventually proved to have been entitled to clasp ?
What do you think ?
Regards
Mike
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 9 years 2 weeks ago #26533

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Mike,

Why not simply place a loose Transvaal clasp over the ribbon as the Transvaal clasp seems to be his correct entitlement ?

Cheers
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 9 years 2 weeks ago #26534

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Mike,

I have checked the rolls and my Wepener roll and am sure he is not entitled to the Wepener clasp.

The QSA roll (WO100/276p106) lists the Tr clasp. His KSA (2) is listed on WO100/365p177.

The medals were issued to his wife 'on guarantee' on 15 May 1909 to 3 Piazza Regina, Valletta, Malta.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 9 years 1 week ago #26537

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Mike

The Register has a corrected Wepener clasp roll so you can easily check there. Additionally I note that in MG Hibbard "The Single Bar Queen's South Africa Medal" (1964) notes this medal as one of three single Wepener clasp medal to Colonial troops.

The medal has had a Wepener clasp for over 50 years at least.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 9 years 1 week ago #26600

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Interested Forum members
here is ILs first contribution to this interesting topic -
QSA with clasps: CC/Wepener/Wittebergen/Belfast/SA1901-SA1902 impressed to "735 Tpr. E.J.Bool. Brabant's Horse"
14/15 Star impressed to "L.Cpt. E.A.Bool. E.Afr.T.C."
BWM/VM impressed to ""Pte. E.A.Bool, E.Afr. T.C."

SAFF records "Slightly wounded 16/4/1900" with initials E.A."; QSA clasps verified on the Kaplan roll - which has marginal comment "D. 15.10.1900". The group came with the appropriate minatures and a large archive of photographs; including two portraits shown below.

Most of the archive related to our man's post-ABW time farming in Kenya and Uganda - plus driving licence, trophy export permit and the like. Some years after the Bool group came into IL's custody, a pair of Discharge Certificates awarded to Ernest Alfred Bool appeared on a well-known on-line auction site. Due to his inexperience in that media :( , yours truly lost out in a bidding war; however not before butterfingersLinney had downloaded images of both docs. That for 2BH shows Tpr. Bool's service between 18121899 and 15101900 (service "exemplary" - bullet wound to left wrist) and later service in DEOVR between 13111901 and 29051902; conduct noted as "Very Good".
The siege of Wepener has always interested IL and several QSA examples bearing that clasp have been encountered. The subject book by our host is keenly awaited!

Regards to all who have read this far
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 9 years 1 week ago #26604

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
That is very nice indeed, Wepener clasps are getting really quite scarce these days, I should have a look in WO126/6-14 for his paper if I were you, hopefully, it will have survived.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.231 seconds