Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kaplan Auctions 7 years 6 months ago #48604

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
But Farmer's IS an imperial DCM. The pictures are a couple of posts back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kaplan Auctions 7 years 6 months ago #48623

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873

Adrian123456 wrote: Hi

Mitchell, gave an address at the 6th SA Numismatic Convention in Durban ,5-10 July 1976.

He stated then as follows:

DISTINGUISHED CONDUCT MEDAL: NATAL:

As I have said, the overwhelming majority of the D.C.M.'s awarded to Colonials during the Anglo-Boer War were of the Imperial pattern.
Only two exceptions are known. Abbot and. Tamplin describe a Canadian D.C.M. of the "trophy of arms" Victorian issue, named to Corporal T. Callaghan, 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles. Callaghan was awarded the D.C.M. for services in the Anglo-Boer War, and his name appears in the London Gazette of 27th September, 1901.

Regards
Adrian

I have handled and photographed this medal...... It is located in the Glenbow Museum in Calgary but I cannot remember if it is "Trophy of Arms" or not...... The major thing that I do remember is that with regards the medal naming his name is spelt wrong it is "Gallaghan" on the medal...... Will look into it when I return from my holiday......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Kaplan Auctions 7 years 4 months ago #49416

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Items from the next sales on 16 Nov 16

J006
Four: Asst Comm J.A. WEBSTER Ord. Dep. Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal bar Transkei Confirmed on Roll SA General Service 1877-8-9 Bar 1879 1754 By. Sgt Maj J. Webster RL. Arty QSA: Bar CC Capt J.A. Webster C.C.O.D. KSA: Bars SA 1901; SA 1902 Capt J.A. Webster CC. Ord. Dept.
VF R15 000

J007
Group of Three silver Miniature medals attributed to Capt J.A. WEBSTER Cape of Good Hope General Service medal bar Transkei QSA Bar CC KSA Bars SA 1901; SA 1902
EF R400

H027
Siege of Mafeking soup ration card It was late 1899 – war was imminent in South Africa. Colonel Baden Powell had been ordered by Britain to set up a military base in the border town of Mafeking. Psychologically affected by the fact that it was from here that the Jameson Raid was launched. The Boers determined to regain this key town. It started an epic 7 and a half months siege. After 6 months by March 1900. The town was famished. Death and destruction from the daily bombardments added to disease and starvation of the 9000 men, women, children, blacks and whites that were trapped. Horse meat soup kitchens started up to feed the population.
EF
R10,000

H028
No bars: T. SAVILLE STO H.M.S. RATTLER With a copy of his and H.M.S. Rattlers time of service. He served on board from Oct 01 to Sept 03. QSA’s to Navy are very scarce
VF+
R5000

H029
No bar: Capt H. CHAPLIN Matatiele N.C. There are two Captain Chaplin’s on the medal roll
VF
R7000

M030
No Bar: No42 Pte G. WATT Grahamstown T.G. Confirmed on Roll. Whilst “yes” for Cape Colony bar is marked this is crossed out for everyone on the roll.
VF+
R1200

S031
No Bar: 25 Pte H. LONG New England M.R. Confirmed with photocopy of the page of the medal roll
VF
R2000

S032
No Bar: Pte S.J. McLEOD TSOMO M.R.C.
VF+
R2000

S033
One Bar: Defence of Kimberley Pte W. DE VILLIERS Kimberley Town Guard Kimberly Star “a” Hallmarked - confirmed on roll. QSA has a bad edge knock otherwise VF+
VF+
R7000

S034
One Bar: Natal Tpr F.W. TAUNTON Natal Carb NRS. With photocopy of the page of the roll.
EF

S035
One Bar: Defence of Mafeking Lt H.P. PATON Protectorate Regt KIA Game Tree Fort – engraved naming as for officers
EF+
R25000

S036
One Bar: Talana 4955 Cor L.T. DAGG R.L. Irish Fus Died 11/2/1900 at Pretoria of typhoid. With photocopy of the page of the roll.
EF+
R3000

S037
Two Bars: Tug HTS; Rel of Lady Br P. HUNTER Natal Vol Amb. C. With photocopy of the page of the roll
EF
R3000

S038
Five Bars: CC; Natal; OFS; Tvl; SA01 2425 Tpr A.E. GAYER Natal Police . One of the rare exceptions to the rule. You cannot have both Cape Colony and Natal. Gayer is confirmed for the CC bar with Kitcheners Fighting scouts and the Natal bar with the Natal Police
VF+
R8000

S039
Six Bars: Tug HTS; OFS; Rel of Ladysmith; Tvl; Laings Nek; SA 1901 6 R.S. Maj A.E. BODEN Menne’s Scouts Confirmed with photocopy of the page of the roll
EF
R4000

H040
KSA (0). Date bars missing – WW II War medal suspender fitted Renamed 3994 Serjt T.M. MALONEY R.D. Fus
VF+
R200

S041
Pair: 4019 Cpl W.E. STANLEY 16TH Lancers QSA bars: Rel of Kim; Paard; Jhb; Diam Hill; Witt KSA bars: SA01; SA02 Serjt W.E. Stanley With photocopy of the page of the roll.
VF
R3500

BOER WAR MEDALLIONS
G042
Silver Medallion 16 mm – “No Power on earth can shake our undivided Empire“
EF
R1500

OKIEP BRONZE /COPPER COMPANY MEDAL
G043
J. OPPEL – bad edge knock on “J” of J. Oppel Confirmed with photocopy of the page of the medal roll. Namaqualand Town Guard.
VF
R17000

BOER WAR BANKNOTES

M044
Tien Pond – Te Velde issue 4 Vertical folds, 1 horizontal fold, spike hole as usual
VF
R3500

M045
Five Pond – Pretoria issue variety B
VF
R400

M046
Mafeking 10/- Commaning error No 2317 Five vertical folds, 1 horizontal fold. Twenty staple holes.
F
R2000

M077
Father: No 865 Sergeant R.G. EADIE QSA Bars: CC; Tvl; Witt; Kaffrarian Rifles KSA Bars: SA 1901; SA 1902 890 Sergt R/G/ EADIE Kaffrarian Rifles “890 Sergt” has been re-impressed
VF+
R3000

L289
Three: 2307 Tpr J.. CAMPBELL Roberts Horse
QSA Bars Rel of K; Paard; Driefontein War and Biligual Victory Medals
Pte J.J. Campbell 6th SAH Photocopy of the QSA roll shows his entitlement to these bars. Photocopies of his WW I record of service shows that he attested 25/4/16 – thus no star missing. Discharged 6/1/17
VF+
R2500

D297
QSA No Bar: 4 L/Cpl W. VOSTER P.A.T.G. only 45 issued
EF

D298
QSA No Bar: 29 Pte J.S. SHORTEN Burghersdorp T.G.
VF+
R3300

D299
QSA No Bar: Pte G. HOLLIS Adelaide T.G. only 70 issued
EF+
R3300

D300
QSA No Bar: 458 Pte C.W. HIRD Queenstown T.G.
VF+
R3300
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Grant

Kaplan Auctions 7 years 1 month ago #51875

• Fleming
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Is there any way I can find out who bought the medals for my wife's grandfather R C Verley as we have most of his other Boer War memorabilia and would like to find these medals?

Kaplan Auctions 7 years 1 month ago #51882

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Your best method is to contact Michael Kaplan and ask if he will forward your email on to the buyer.
Dr David Biggins

Kaplan Auctions 6 years 9 months ago #54069

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I don't think there have been any Kaplan auctions so far in 2017 which is usual. Is that the case or have I been missing them?
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.448 seconds