Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Ladysmith Anglican Church 7 years 8 months ago #47654

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good heavens, a little piece of England so far away, you can really understand why the Colony was fought for in the most bitter and intense manner.

djb wrote: Pictures from the outside of the lovely Anglican Church in Ladysmith.

The church was damaged during the Boer bombardment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ladysmith Anglican Church 7 years 8 months ago #47655

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Magnificent!

djb wrote: Major Vallentin

Ladysmith Anglican Church 7 years 8 months ago #47661

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 234
A really wonderful place that I've visited several times. David, did you have to ask to be let into the church? I found that open access was hit and miss but more recently heard that, because of the threat of theft and vandalism the church was no longer routinely open outside service hours but I'm not sure if that's actually correct.

Regards

David

Ladysmith Anglican Church 7 years 8 months ago #47665

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
David,

I hadn't made an appointment to visit the church in advance so arrived at the door before 8 on Friday morning in the hope of being able to enter. Everything was locked up and seemingly impregnable. A few telephone calls to the church office resulted in the gates and doors being opened and alarms deactivated. I was then given as long as I wanted to peruse. It took quite a while to photograph the many items of interest within the small church. A very enjoyable visit.
Dr David Biggins

Ladysmith Anglican Church 4 years 5 months ago #66200

Dear David,
Many thanks for this link. The photos were most useful. I wonder if you can help with another problem.
I see from the medals and clasps entitlement register entry that mu great-uncle was not awarded a claps for the Tugela Heights (nor is it on the medla I have have). This would seem strange as he is supposed to have died on 22 February 1900, on Wynne Hill, yet the entitlement record has him dying on 24 January 1900 i.e. at Spion Kop.
Two things cross my mind-- how can I find which is the correct date of death and two if 22 February is correct is there any way I can have the Tugela Heights clasp awarded to him posthumously?
Kind regards,
Dr. David Bell

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.627 seconds