• Page:

TOPIC:

Disappointing state of the Winburg war graves 11 years 3 months ago #7288

• C Rose
  • C Rose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
The where some comments on the destruction of war grave sites around South Africa. I not going to speculate on the possible sociological, economic or political issues that may underlie the cause, I could write volumes and probably not very good ones at that. I will just share my experience.

In 2010 I was traveling along the N1 motorway which follows Ian Hamilton’s march north. On my GPS system the war graves at Winburg are listed as a place of interest. Knowing that over 100 British servicemen are interred there, from action on the Vet River before the town was captured as well as during the later occupation, I decided to pay it a visit. The disappointment and sadness at what I saw affected me long afterwards.

The site is on the edge of what is now an open municipal dumping ground. To get there you travel on a dirt road skirting the edge of the dump. The refuse overflows onto this road and the dump is being worked buy people who look like the living dead, they scrape a living by searching through the waste. When I go to the site I found that it had been vandalised and that only one tombstone remained. I did not feel very safe as I was alone, I quickly photographed what remained (which did not take long) and left promptly left.

If you are going there for the historical interest than don’t, the experience it offers is all together different.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Disappointing state of the Winburg war graves 11 years 3 months ago #7290

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The broken sign and graffiti on the brick wall is very disappointing, but, the stone to L/Cpl Grant is still very impressive and nice to see, not really a place I would want to visit though.

Re: Disappointing state of the Winburg war graves 11 years 3 months ago #7291

• C Rose
  • C Rose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Dear Frank,

Yes this remaining tombstone is still impressive, especially since I an originally from Northumberland and had a relative who served in this regiment in the 1950’s.

Regards
Carl

Re: Disappointing state of the Winburg war graves 11 years 3 months ago #7299

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi Carl,
I have always liked the NF, in the early 1950's they were part of the 29th Infantry Brigade, they did well in Korea at the Imjin river.
Regards Frank

C Rose wrote: Dear Frank,

Yes this remaining tombstone is still impressive, especially since I an originally from Northumberland and had a relative who served in this regiment in the 1950’s.

Regards
Carl

Re: Disappointing state of the Winburg war graves 11 years 2 months ago #7718

• Aaran
Very sad to see war graves in such a stressful condition. A sorry sight. Unless this is addressed I fear for the locations future !! but where would one start ?

Disappointing state of the Winburg war graves 9 years 1 month ago #25606

• Gillian
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Can anyone please let me know if anything has been done about the state of the War Graves at Winburg. I took this matter up with the Director of Cultural and Heritage Tourism 3 years ago and he promised me things will be done.
I would appreciate any feedback as I am then going to take it up here in the UK with the War Graves Commission.
Many thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fitz_merc

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.513 seconds