Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Matjiesfontein- Western Cape 10 years 6 months ago #14373

• capepolice
  • capepolice's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 427
Hello David,

Thanks for that. I looked at all the team pic's etc in the museum when I was there and sadly cannot remember his name other than I think I remember reading that he was or had something to do with Michael house here in Natal.

Currie Cup going down to the wire it seems??

Cheers
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Matjiesfontein- Western Cape 10 years 6 months ago #14376

• mike rowan
  • Thank you received: 88
When I lived in Cape Town in the seventies and we were subject to petrol restrictions ( no fuel available over weekends), I could get to Matjiefontein and back on a tank of fuel. That doesnt sound like a big deal these days, but 'back in the day'the old Peugeot 403 station wagon was a tad thirsty - as was I. The trip involved a bit of freewheeling on hills, all of which added to the adventure. Slept in Olive Shreiner's bed ( it was dusty and I'm not sure that they had changed the sheets too recently- maybe not since Olive had inhabited it) That aside, a good time was had by all. The Lord Milner Hotel was rather a ground-breaker in that it was one of the first hotels that people visited because of what the hotel offered as an 'experience'rather than simply a place to stop enroute to somewhere else.
Sorry about the nostalgic travalogue - I promise that my next post will be about the ABW.
Regards
Mike

Matjiesfontein- Western Cape 10 years 6 months ago #14408

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Petrol restrictions? :(
LOL, memories of Rhodesia spring to mind! :)

mike rowan wrote: When I lived in Cape Town in the seventies and we were subject to petrol restrictions ( no fuel available over weekends), I could get to Matjiefontein and back on a tank of fuel. That doesnt sound like a big deal these days, but 'back in the day'the old Peugeot 403 station wagon was a tad thirsty - as was I. The trip involved a bit of freewheeling on hills, all of which added to the adventure. Slept in Olive Shreiner's bed ( it was dusty and I'm not sure that they had changed the sheets too recently- maybe not since Olive had inhabited it) That aside, a good time was had by all. The Lord Milner Hotel was rather a ground-breaker in that it was one of the first hotels that people visited because of what the hotel offered as an 'experience'rather than simply a place to stop enroute to somewhere else.
Sorry about the nostalgic travalogue - I promise that my next post will be about the ABW.
Regards
Mike

Matjiesfontein- Western Cape 10 years 6 months ago #14409

• Frank Kelley
Was there a milk shortage too? :(

Matjiesfontein- Western Cape 10 years 6 months ago #14416

• mike rowan
  • Thank you received: 88
Hi Frank,
No milk shortage, I dont think so anyway, I probably wouldn't have noticed - I can say with certainty that there wasn't a beer shortage !
Regards
Mike

Matjiesfontein- Western Cape 10 years 6 months ago #14417

• Frank Kelley
Hello Mike,
Well it seems Cape Town was the place to be back then, I very much doubt if you would have liked Umtali. :(
Regards Frank

mike rowan wrote: Hi Frank,
No milk shortage, I dont think so anyway, I probably wouldn't have noticed - I can say with certainty that there wasn't a beer shortage !
Regards
Mike

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.721 seconds