TOPIC:

Samuel Alexander Somerville 9 years 8 months ago #21382

• stuartso
  • stuartso's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear All,

I'm most likely clutching at straws on this one. But I've been informed by a relative that my Great Grandfather, Samuel Alexander Somerville served in the second boer war alongside his brother, William Henry Somerville. They were born in Ireland.

I've been able to locate that William served with the Royal Inniskilling Fusilliers. I thought I located Samuel's info but alas it was a Samuel Somerville born in Australia and served with the 2nd Scottish Horse regiment.

In the Medal and Award rolls of 1793-1949 on Ancestry I've fount two S.Somervilles. One is Kaffrarian Rifles, reg no: 1383A and South African Constabulary, reg no: 1018. But I can't confirm if either of these relate to my Great Grandfather as there isn't any other info on them.

Does anyone have any advice on trying to locate any records on the Boer War. Other sources perhaps?

Regards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Samuel Alexander Somerville 9 years 8 months ago #21388

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Stuartso,

Welcome to the Forum.

There are three avenues I could suggest.

1. Search the index of FindMyPast for service papers relating to S Somervilles. If there are possible matches, you can either pay to see them on FMP or see them for free at the National Archives.

2. Also at the National Archives and not on line are the attestation papers for the Kaffrarian Rifles (WO126/74). There may be a paper for S Somerville and it may contain some biographical information.

3. Audrey Portman (email address under Contacts) is based in SA, works as a professional researcher and is researching the SAC. She may have some information on the other S Somerville.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.328 seconds