Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Colour Sergeant 180 Alfred (Alf) John BAKER DCM 2nd Royal Warwick's 8 years 7 months ago #42910

• BOX500
  • BOX500's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Thought some of you might be interested in Alf's interesting story here.

His name appears on the Ashford civic war memorial in Kent.

Alf served in the Boer War with the 2nd Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment and won the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) at the Battle of Belfast.

His details are contained within a .pdf report I completed a few years ago on the Pluckley Remount Depot.

I found poor Alf's grave in an appalling state in Ashford's old cemetery and submitted his name to the CWGC as his name had been forgotten by the country he gave his life for. I'm glad to say his commemoration was passed and he now has a nice shiny new headstone care of the British taxpayer...

www.kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/BAKER%20A.J.pdf

www.kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/PLUCKLEY%20REMOUNT%20DEPOT.pdf

www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=75198596

If you have a peek at the cemetery grave register on CWGC you will see the other men in red who I had commemorated after tracing them from the local war memorial. None had an official commemoration at the time. Shocking but true. In fact I found no less than 13 men on Ashford's civic tribute with no official tribute. I think this is still a record. Most now have new headstones or inscriptions on memorials to the missing. One man I found was killed in action on The Somme (Pte W Knock), quite how he came to be forgotten is not known.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey, BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Colour Sergeant 180 Alfred (Alf) John BAKER DCM 2nd Royal Warwick's 8 years 7 months ago #42919

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi
Rudolph, page 66, has a "citation" for Baker's DCM:

"Although wounded, remained with his company collecting the wounded, and did not give in until he had issued the blankets to his men, and then only when his captain ordered him to go to hospital and have his wounds dressed, 27th August, 1900"

Henk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.952 seconds