• Page:

TOPIC:

Boer War? 8 years 6 months ago #43444

• Neil
  • Neil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I have found this picture of my Great Grandfather. He. Was born in 1854 and on the back of the picture it says 'Boer war'
That is all the information I have, not a lot to go on but I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on it.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boer War? 8 years 6 months ago #43445

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
Neil

I am not a uniform expert but If you hadn't said he was born in 1854 I would be thinking the photo dates from around then. My other reaction is that the uniform doesn't look very British and I don't think I've seen British soldiers with a bedroll like this one. However, I may be totally wrong! The headgear could be a Fusiliers' busby. If you have a name It would help in trying to find out his unit and when he served.

Patrick

Boer War? 8 years 6 months ago #43446

• Neil
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
His name was Walter George Warrington (sometimes called George Walter Warrington)

Boer War? 8 years 6 months ago #43468

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
Hi Neil,

I have had a look at the medal rolls for the Anglo-Boer war .

There are no exact matches for Walter George Warrington or George Walter Warrington, either with these first names or using initials. There were two G Warringtons in the Leicestershire Regiment and one in the Duke of Edinburgh's Volunteer Rifles. There was a W Warrington in the Composite Cyclist Corps, an FW Warrington in the Suffolk Regiment, a WJ Warrington in the Grenadier Guards and a GAR Warrington in The Intelligence Dept.

Not only does the uniform in the photo look quite different from, and much earlier than, the uniforms I believe the men I've listed would have worn, but I suspect the information you have at the moment is misleading. If 1854 was indeed his date of birth he would have been at least 45 when the Anglo-Boer War started. This wouldn't rule him out of being involved but although the photo has 'Boer War' written on it certainly doesn't show a man of 45, and can't be contemporary. If this is indeed your Great Grandfather's photo ( is there any confirmation of this? ) he looks to be in his late teens or twenties which would place the photo in the 1870's /early 1880's. There area small number of Warringtons who feature in the medal rolls for the various campaigns in this period such as India, South Africa, Egypt and Afghanistan. In South Africa 1877-79 there is a G Warrington,Port Elizabeth Volunteer Horse and a George Warrington,
Murraysburg Volunteer Cavalry.

I can't help much more, I'm afraid. Maybe some other members can chime in? I suggest you try posting your enquiry on the Victorian Wars Forum and on the Gentlemens' Military Interest Club forum. Let us know what you discover.

Patrick
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neil

Boer War? 8 years 6 months ago #43531

• Neil
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you for going to so much effort.

I was given copies of his birth certificate in the name Walter George Warrington and his marriage certificate in the name George Walter Warrington together with an envelope containing 4 photos with Walter George (or George Walter) Warrington Born 1854

That photo had bier war and his name and 1854 on the back.

Two others photos were of him as an old man and the fourth was a postcard as attached.

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.803 seconds