Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Looking for service record of William Nicholas Boer War 7 years 10 months ago #46475

• Nicholasa
  • Nicholasa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear All,

Sometimes one just wishes one listened to our elders much more when we were younger.

But I have been told that my Grandfather came over to came to Cape Town to look after the horses that were arriving from overseas for the Boer War. Later when cars were being more widely used he was transferred to the mechanical corp. Other stories say he came over with the mechanical corp. I don't know which version is true? I have been searching for the last year to find his Service Record on Crown Duty without success. Can any one on this forum pleas help point me in the right direction. I would be most grateful.

Yours faithfully
Ashley Nicholas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking for service record of William Nicholas Boer War 7 years 10 months ago #46477

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello

If you can't find his service record on FindmyPast or Ancestry then it doesn't exist, unless he served beyond 1922 in which case the MOD still have them.

Have you tried the medal rolls on Ancestry?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Looking for service record of William Nicholas Boer War 7 years 10 months ago #46479

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
In the complete absence of any available folio, it is rather more likely that a particular mans papers have not survived, but, I certainly would not suggest that they do not exist, a manual search would be necessary, but, sadly would not be possible in WO363 and WO364 because of their condition, they were never intended to be released to the general public.

SWB wrote: Hello

If you can't find his service record on FindmyPast or Ancestry then it doesn't exist, unless he served beyond 1922 in which case the MOD still have them.

Have you tried the medal rolls on Ancestry?

Regards
Meurig

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.644 seconds