TOPIC:

David Edward Patterson 6 years 11 months ago #52850

• amandad82
  • amandad82's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear ABW Members,

How would I go about finding more information on what it meant to be a ZAR Mounted Policeman in 1897, a detective in 1898 and what rank David Edward Patterson was while joining the Morley Scouts, what he did in the unit???

I would also like to find out more information on the Morley Scouts and their movements in the ABW specifically in 1901.

Many Thanks,
Amanda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

David Edward Patterson 6 years 11 months ago #52858

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Welcome Amanda,

There is some information but not very much here on Morley's Scouts: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...s/430-morleys-scouts

This Corps was raised and commanded by Major R W Morley, late 4th Dragoon Guards and was composed of non-enlisted men. The Corps was paid from the proceeds of looted cattle and did not receive the War Gratuity.

There are several mentions in PDFs on the site which might yield more information.
Dr David Biggins

David Edward Patterson 6 years 11 months ago #52859

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
There is no medal or nominal roll for Morley's Scouts.

There is a D Patterson who served in the South African Constabulary which may tie in with his earlier career. He is on the roll WO100/272p337 as 299 3rd Class Trooper in the Heidelberg section of the SAC.

If you contact Audrey (see contacts in the top menu), she may be able to furnish more information.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

David Edward Patterson 6 years 11 months ago #52864

• amandad82
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hey David,

Thanks for the reply... Audrey and I are well acquainted... but I will ask her for more details on the information you have provided...

Do you by any chance know what the requirements were to be part of the ZAR Mounted Policeforce or the Morley Scouts.

Could a person that immigrated from Wales work as a Mounted Policeman?

Thanks Again,
Amanda

David Edward Patterson 6 years 11 months ago #52865

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Amanda,

I am not sure of the requirements for the ZAR Police. Perhaps other can comment on this?

Morley's Scouts are sometimes described as cattle looters but this seems at odds with the fact that they and Menne's Scouts were there to protect the Pretoria to Natal railway. I will wee if I have an attestation paper for Menne's Scouts as a example of what they signed up for.
Dr David Biggins

David Edward Patterson 6 years 11 months ago #52867

• amandad82
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you David.

What I find truly interesting is that My David worked as a Mounted Policeman in 1897 and in 1898 as a detective. In 1901 he surrendered from his shop close to PTA to join the Morley Scouts.

At the baptism of his son born in 1901 his occupation is given as working for the Military Intellegence Department.

I've come across some mention of Jan Smuts being involved in recruiting detectives for the South African Sectet Service, I also know that Jan Smuts and Davids Wife's family were connected.

Last thing to add that is interesting is that in the documents where David gives allegiance to the English, they mention that they suspect he has worked for the ZAR police...

It seems strange that David would swop sides and when he tries to purchase a farm in 1911, gives references from men like Gen. De La Rey, Botha and two more. It (on my mind) doesn't make sense that he would be able to get reference from Boer War Heros if he was truly working for the English on 1901.

Let me know you thoughts, thanks!!!
Amanda

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.404 seconds