TOPIC:

Gunner C. L. Jones - Dereham - Soldier Number 2 7 years 2 weeks ago #52851

• Kitty55
  • Kitty55's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi
Even though I've managed to name and find over 40 soldiers who came from Dereham and fought in the ABW - but this time I'm really stumped.:dry:

I've just found a letter in my local newspaper dated 3rd February 1900 which was written and sent in by Gunner C. L. Jones of Etling Green, East Dereham, Norfolk. The letter is a really interesting one about the Boer War and volunteers in general and I would really like to put it in my War Book but to do that I'd need to know a little more about him and I don't seem to be able to.
I've searched through my local directories to try and found him but he's not listed in them or on anything online except for the two following records -

The First One -
C. Jones, Gunner R.A. Service Number 19955 - 66, Battery Royal Field Artillery.
This record stated he was wounded in Colenso on 15th December 1899 and later killed on 22nd August 1901 at Johannesburg on the Railway.
It also states he's on the South War Royal Artillery Memorial in the Mall, London.
Found on Findmypast and N&MA.

The Second One -
C. Jones, Driver,
Force - South African Field Force,
Regt. - Royal Artillery
Battalion - Ammunition Columns and Parks
Number - 77495
Rank - Driver
Casualty type - Accident injury
Place - Kaapmuiden
Date - 9th October 1900
From the N&MA

Both of these two could be him as he's not a Dereham man but was living in Etling Green when he wrote the letter.
However I believe the first one is the most likely as it fits with all the dates - i.e. no trace of him in any directory/census anywhere after 1901 and several of the men from Dereham who according to his letter he knew where either stationed/fighting in Colenso and Johannesburg.
It is possible that he was staying with a fellow soldier or friends in town whilst convalescing.
I say this as several men who came from that particular area in town where regular soldiers albeit in different regiments.

I've searched - Through my local newspapers, Findmypast, Ancestry, Genealogist, Genes Reunited, N&MA, Rolls of Honour but can't find anything anywhere else.

Is there anywhere else that I haven't mentioned that I could find out more about him?

Any help would be appreciated

:) Thanks and take care, Kitty
Interested in anything to do with East Dereham, Norfolk UK. - 3rdVBNR, 5th Norfolks, RAMC etc. Including soldiers from out of town who were stationed in town during a war period.
Worked as trained researcher.
Personal - married to Kenny (42y), mother of 3, nanny of 5 and owner of Percy, the Westie....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gunner C. L. Jones - Dereham - Soldier Number 2 7 years 2 weeks ago #52854

• trooper922
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 8
The first one is charles jones 19955 and he was born in Wellington shropshire and his father was called Joshua if that helps I shall look for the second.......
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Kitty55

Gunner C. L. Jones - Dereham - Soldier Number 2 7 years 2 weeks ago #52855

• trooper922
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 8
Second chap is from Macclesfield in Cheshire and was discharged back to there after the boer war I'll keep looking
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Kitty55

Gunner C. L. Jones - Dereham - Soldier Number 2 7 years 2 weeks ago #52872

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello

trooper922 used the service papers in FmP to get that information.

If CL Jones is the 66th bty man then one would reasonably expect him to be on the Norfolk County memorial in Norwich, and he isn't; ref: FmP & Roll of Honour. But, war memorials are not always accurate.

FmP has Royal Artillery attestations, there is no 'CL Jones' that fits.

The Norfolk militia Royal Garrison Artillery sent a company out to the war, there is no Jones in the medal roll for that unit.

Could you publish the letter? Perhaps there are other clues in there.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kitty55

Gunner C. L. Jones - Dereham - Soldier Number 2 7 years 2 weeks ago #52874

• Kitty55
  • Kitty55's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 7
:) Thanks for the replies

I'd already checked with the Shire House in Norwich (NR Museum) and they simply replied - if it's Dereham and you don't know Kitty then I doubt we have anything,* but we'll check - they have there's nothing to say he was in the Norfolks in anyway.
*The only reason they said this is I’ve been doing Dereham’s history for 50 years next year and they have phoned me up with Dereham enquiries before.

So my reasons for thinking it’s Gunner C. Jones, 19955 more than the others –
1) Several Dereham men including Captains and Lieutenants fought at Colenso and Johannesburg. Medal records prove it.
2) There is a John Jones (senior) from a town family who fought over there in the Norfolks – got all his details and they tally correctly. So he could have been recuperating in town through being his relation – though I’ve found no connection yet and it’s a different part of town that both are living in. However there was an old lady who took in wounded soldiers in the early 1900’s at Etling Green.
3) He must have been taken or gone along to the 3rd VBNR smokers in town whilst getting better and so replied to several letters about them in the papers always signing off as C. L. Jones, (Late Gunner in R.A.) Etling Green.
4) Many town soldiers that volunteered did go back again – some to fight, some to live and work there. I’ve even got one who when called up for the Great War refused to fight unless he could do so with South Africans – he did in their corps on the Western Front. Another a solicitors son actually became quite a well know and famous engineer in Natal – G.H. Cooper.
5) I’ve searched all though the directories/censuses online everywhere that they are available and can find no trace of him anywhere in Britain after 1901. This is the reason I think the one I’m looking for was killed whilst over there. All others I’ve found some trace of even if it’s Canada, Australia etc. but not him.
6) Not all Dereham men who fought over there were in the Norfolks – in fact only about 55% were actually in the Norfolks – quite a few were in the R.A.M.C. during the Boer War going first to Norwich for their medical and then going to Aldershot to finish off their enlistment and training leaving roughly a fortnight later for S.A.

If necessary I’ll just have his letter in the book and write what I’ve been able to find out about him along with the query of if it’s the right man or not. Just thought I’d best check on here first in case someone knew of a site I didn’t that might be able to tell me more.

Thanks and take care, Kitty
Interested in anything to do with East Dereham, Norfolk UK. - 3rdVBNR, 5th Norfolks, RAMC etc. Including soldiers from out of town who were stationed in town during a war period.
Worked as trained researcher.
Personal - married to Kenny (42y), mother of 3, nanny of 5 and owner of Percy, the Westie....

Gunner C. L. Jones - Dereham - Soldier Number 2 7 years 2 weeks ago #52875

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Interesting notes there, one question why would a serving soldier sign his letters as "Late Gunner in RA"?
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kitty55

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.528 seconds