TOPIC:

jameson & reform committee in jail photo 7 years 3 months ago #50764

• nov
  • nov's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
hello
had this photo a while probably took in pretoria.has jameson ,sampson,kerri davies and lionel philips written on the back.
looks like jameson sitting left.
can anyone identify the others?
Bob
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

jameson & reform committee in jail photo 7 years 3 months ago #50775

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Bob
A very interesting photo! Thank you for posting it. I have forwarded a link to this post to a friend in Australia who is contributing to a planned biography of Karri-Davies, so she may well contact you.
Regards
Brett

jameson & reform committee in jail photo 7 years 3 months ago #50778

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Bob and Brett
Would prisoners in Pretoria goal wear outfits with the broad arrow emblazoned upon them? Bearing in mind that an article upon which the "crow's foot" symbol appears denotes that the said article was the property of HM.
Regards
IL.

jameson & reform committee in jail photo 7 years 3 months ago #50790

• nov
  • nov's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
IL
its an original photo and came from SA,in the effects of someone who was there at the time and involved in the trial of some of the reform committee.
as the reform committee members did not go to england and jameson arrived in england late feb
the timing is possible.
until the identification of the men in the pic.proves it there is a posiblity it might not be pretoria or even the men stated on the back but it would be interesting to find out. .
Bob
p s the transvaal was declared british property in '77,perhaps they raced round and stamped everything!

jameson & reform committee in jail photo 7 years 3 months ago #50795

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
LOL, no, they certainly would not, but, it is most important to bare in mind that "Lanner" was, subsequently, banged up here in Great Britain, after all, he was, in actual fact, as guilty as a most unfortunate puppy, sat next to a pile of poo, after Her Majesties Government's complete and utter denial.

Nice to know you can rely on your friends, when needs must!

LinneyI wrote: Bob and Brett
Would prisoners in Pretoria goal wear outfits with the broad arrow emblazoned upon them? Bearing in mind that an article upon which the "crow's foot" symbol appears denotes that the said article was the property of HM.
Regards
IL.

jameson & reform committee in jail photo 7 years 3 months ago #50796

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Bob, Brett and Frank
Yes, indeed. Poor old LSJ; trusting a politician. I thought I had seen a reference somewhere of LSJ in prison dress; found it in Chris Ash's "The IF Man" (ISBN 978-1-907677-74-8). Without wishing to reduce the revenues of the redoubtable Mr. Ash in any way, I should just say that he (Mr.Ash) writes on p.259 that subsequent to his trial, LSJ was - in Frank's terminology - "banged up" in Wormwood Scrubs "where he was clad in rough, arrow-adorned prison garb etc etc". Later, he went to more hospitable incarceration.
Both of Chris Ash's current books are well worth reading - and I am looking forward to his "Matabele" in the New Year.
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds