Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Captain Charlie Ross & Lieutenant Harry Morant 11 years 5 months ago #5756

• iaindh
  • iaindh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 35
According to Thomas Peckenham, Captain Charlie Ross of the Canadian Scouts, made his men take an oath not to take any Boer prisoners, this after finding the bullet riddled body of Major "Gat" Howard, shot after capture.

The question I ask is why was Lieutenants Harry "Breaker" Morant and Peter Handcock, court marshalled and executed, on Kitchener's orders, for the same thing?

In their defense, they said it was accepted practise to shoot Boers wearing British Khaki.

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Captain Charlie Ross & Lieutenant Harry Morant 11 years 5 months ago #5757

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Iain,
In my opinion, for the sake of example, because of the murder of a German missionary, the protest of the German government and the fact they were both Australians?
Regards Frank.

Re: Captain Charlie Ross & Lieutenant Harry Morant 11 years 5 months ago #5758

• iaindh
Hi Frank,
as I understand it, the killing of the German missionary wasn't proven but he was known to be a Boer spy!
I know at the time Australia wasn't a Crown Dominion but why should that have made a difference or were Australians still considered convicts?
regards, Iain
The following user(s) said Thank You: sahpa2000

Re: Captain Charlie Ross & Lieutenant Harry Morant 11 years 5 months ago #5759

• Frank Kelley
Hi Iain,
But, he was German, their government was not amused, Kitchener wanted to bring what was becoming a very expensive war to end and Britain's global reputation was at rock bottom with the camps, both white and black!
If they had been officers in the British Army, I don't think there would even have been a courts martial, but, they were not.
Regards Frank

Re: Captain Charlie Ross & Lieutenant Harry Morant 11 years 5 months ago #5760

• iaindh
Hi Frank,

OK I understand what you're saying and you're probably right as to you're statement that were they British Officers the court martial probably wouldn't have happened.

regards, Iain

Re: Captain Charlie Ross & Lieutenant Harry Morant 11 years 5 months ago #5762

• Frank Kelley
Hi Iain,
I think it was a very shameful thing to have done, though, Morant was clearly no angel, he was in my opinion, along with Witton and Handcock a bloody good soldier, these colonials were exactly the type of men that were needed in the Transvaal at that particular time.
I think the colonials often got a bad deal, despite being superb soldiers and distinguishing themselves very much so, the Australians in particular made a number of people at AHQ Pretoria feel rather uncomfortable.
It has been said before on here, but, it is worth repeating, that this was indeed, a new war for a new century, both the media and politicians had a major part in it.
Buller, Roberts and Kitchener all made attempts to control the way the media reported the war, as they became more and more aware of public opinion, but, none of them entirely suceeded.
Regards Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.822 seconds