• Page:

TOPIC:

16th December 1901: Kritzinger capture 10 years 7 months ago #13569

• PeterG
  • PeterG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
I am researching the actions on Railways in the ABW and am looking for information regarding the role played by Privates Macdonald and Chapman (Grenadier Guards) in the capture of Commandant Kritzinger as indicated below.

CAPE COLONY: 16TH DECEMBER 1901
EVENT ON THE RAILWAY LINE NAAUWPOORT TO DE AAR: SECTION HANOVER ROAD TO FRANZ

Crossing of the line from north to south by Commandant Kritinger’s commando and his subsequent capture.

Literature sources:

The Official Records of the GUARDS’ BRIGADES in South Africa. London: J.J. Keliher & Co., Limited. 1904. Page 343. Notice sent by the Major-General from Naauwpoort on 24th December 1901:

“The Major-General has much pleasure in publishing the following telegram from the General Commanding-in Chief: -
Belfast, 17th. – Please congratulate Guards’ Blockhouse line at Hanover Road on the efficiency of their work. I am pleased at the way the line is held and results obtained.
The Major-General is specially pleased at the rapidity with which No. 6430 Private A. Macdonald and No. 7687 Private J. Chapman 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards, grasped the situation on the occasion of Kritzinger’s commando crossing the line on the 16th inst.”

Additional reference:
Lloyd, F. & Russel, A. First or GRENADIER GUARDS in South Africa 1899-1902.
Uckfield: The Naval and Military Press Ltd. Published 2005.
Refer: Page 69 and maps between pages 66 and 67.

Much appreciated.

Regards
Peter Greeff
George, South Africa.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16th December 1901: Kritzinger capture 9 years 3 months ago #23958

• masonfold
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I still need to recall about it! I had an amnesia,just kidding! However, Public Notary Claudia do Nascimento Domingues of Sao Paulo, Brazil, has made a landmark decision that could still redefine family and matrimony .

16th December 1901: Kritzinger capture 9 years 3 months ago #24225

• PeterG
  • PeterG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Tuesday 16 December 1901

14 Dec 1901. Kritzinger's force crosses Orange River approx. 105 men + 300 horses

15 Dec 1901. British forces converge on Boer commando

Big "chase" in the area Zeekoeirivier (Seacow River) westwards and later southwards - Kritzinger's commando. Area best described Colesburg to Hanover to Phillipstown to confluence Orange / Zeekoeirivier, back to Colesburg. Boers being driven southwards to the De-Aar to Naauwpoort blockhoused railway line. Aromoured train "Coldstreamer" on patrol on line. Boers chased for 60 miles that day.

Forces involved

Lord Cavendish-Bentinck + 150 10th Hussars from farm Hamelfontein
Doran
3rd Battn. Grenadier Guards on blockhouse duty.

By the time the Boers had crossed the line, they had lost half of the horses.
Boers captured = Kritzinger (wounded), Hugo, Landman and Gert Boldingh (died 18 Dec 1901).

More information from personal records / accounts, please.

Thank you

Peter

16th December 1901: Kritzinger capture 2 years 9 months ago #76898

• CharlieC
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Peter

Thank you for the information shared. I would like to find out more about Landman in this case. I can track some details of my family (Landman) and their capture are POWs and Woman in camps. However, I would like to know which Landman was captured by Kritzinger's force on 18th Dec 1901?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds