Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The Devils Own at Talana 7 years 3 weeks ago #52433

• Frank Kelley
  • Frank Kelley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentleman,
My choice of title for this thread was a reference to the phase used by certain enemies in South Africa when opposed by the Dublin's during the Anglo Boer War and should not be confused with the popular nickname of the old 88th and subsequently, the Connaught Rangers.

Some five days ago, in this section, Meurig posted a particularly pleasing and most unusual group, the recipient, a certain Mr Thomas Bracken, had been captured at the Battle of Dundee.

I was, however, slightly surprised by Brett's reply, in which he stated that it was the first QSA, he had seen to a member of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers who had been captured there, I myself have never regarded casualties to members of the Dublin's in general and to their 2nd Battalion, in particular, as being all that unusual.

There were simply just so many of them, moreover, whilst I certainly have no special interest in this particular regiment, I have long held a very particular love of Dublin and it's people.
So I have long known that there were a very great many Dubliner's who had lost their sons, bothers, fathers and husbands as a direct result of the Anglo Boer War, many others had returned from South Africa with appalling injuries, sadly, so many had found themselves under the "care" and "leadership" of a certain Fitzroy Hart, who, in my opinion, at least, was, yet another, promoted way beyond his own capability.

Because of my particular interest in this great place, I have a considerable number of recipients who had served in the Fusiliers during the Anglo Boer War in my collection and I remembered the last I had added, had been present at Dundee and I promised Brett that I would submit a post about him here.

I must say that I need to get myself down to PE in hope that I might borrow a certain camera from a member of this forum, before embarking on any such further posts!
Also, sadly, Frank should be forgiven, for only around sixty, or so, percent of his Anglo Boer War collection is actually researched, please note that does exclude the following pair, this is due, largely, to a complete and utter lack of time.

Hugh Gibney, came from Kingstown Dublin, he was in 1893, a grocers porter and a serving Militiaman in the 4th Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers, he subsequently joined the Army on the 25th of November that same year, the RDF at Naas, so I am very sure he would have felt quite at home, despite his relatively small stature, WO97 suggests he was only five feet and some four and three quarter inches tall.
Initially posted to the 1st Battalion RDF, he was subsequently posted to their 2nd Battalion in 1896, with which he served during the Anglo Boer War, after Foreign Service in the East Indies and as part of the Imperial garrison in the Colony of Natal at Fort Napier, Pietermaritzburg.
Present at Dundee, I certainly can't add anything that Meurig has not already stated in his thread on Thomas Bracken, the various published sources confirm capture by the enemy on the 21st of October, it has been suggested that all those unwounded members of the battalion actually confirmed as prisoners were members of the battalions Mounted Infantry, this is and has long been, also my understanding, however, whilst the medals are impressed simply RL DUBLIN FUS, I always find it interesting when no MI certificate is shown in surviving papers.
It is almost as though, on the day in question, someone said, "can you ride? splendid, go with Bernhard Moller, he will look after you!"
Gibney, once released, served in South Africa during the war until the 25th of September 1902 with his battalion and as such saw the conflict from beginning to end, he transferred to the reserve on the 11th of December that year, being finally discharged from the Army on the 24th of November 1905.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Devils Own at Talana 7 years 3 weeks ago #52436

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Many thanks, Frank. I suppose that I missed finding the medal(s) of a RDF Talana POW because I spend so little time watching lists from the UK, and even less time on Internet offerings.

I must already have posted the story of my KRRC Talana POW elsewhere on this forum and I will post a link if I can find it. In the meantime, the medal group is shown below.

Brett
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

The Devils Own at Talana 7 years 3 weeks ago #52497

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Thanks chaps for displaying such fine medals.

Frank - was Gibney a reunite? I recorded the QSA sold on its own in 2015.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

The Devils Own at Talana 7 years 2 weeks ago #52512

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
I had lunch today with a collector from Durban at a local watering hole, Stokers, and it reminded me that he has in his collection the medals of another RDF Talana POW. The picture below is from David's Talana book.

Attachments:

The Devils Own at Talana 7 years 1 week ago #52668

• Frank Kelley
Sorry for late reply Meurig, no, not by me.
Happy St Patrick's Day!

SWB wrote: Thanks chaps for displaying such fine medals.

Frank - was Gibney a reunite? I recorded the QSA sold on its own in 2015.

The Devils Own at Talana 7 years 1 week ago #52693

• Frank Kelley
To be really quite honest Brett, do you actually need to have one in the first place, you have this example, do you need another?
I have long admired the KRRC, in particular, for their part in the Natal campaign, I should be quite happy with those if I were you.
Medals to recipients who were taken prisoner have never interested me greatly, all the more so in the case of the Anglo Boer War, to simply release them, does seem particularly pointless.
Notwithstanding, I suppose I have been influenced by individuals throughout my lifetime and their own thoughts, moreover, I do remember Sir Antony Farrar Hockley telling me to actually surrender was the most shameful thing ever to have done, not what soldiering is about and so on, but, on occasion, necessary, to save life.
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Many thanks, Frank. I suppose that I missed finding the medal(s) of a RDF Talana POW because I spend so little time watching lists from the UK, and even less time on Internet offerings.

I must already have posted the story of my KRRC Talana POW elsewhere on this forum and I will post a link if I can find it. In the meantime, the medal group is shown below.

Brett

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.775 seconds