Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died in WWI 10 years 7 months ago #13574

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 289
A Boer War Queen South Africa and Kings South Africa pair to a man who was a Boer prisoner of war and later died during WWI.
Both medals are correctly named to 5232 Private Albert Trimnell of the 2nd Battalion (The Duke of Edinburgh's) Wiltshire Regiment; the QSA has three clasps, the Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal; the KSA has the South Africa 01 & 02 claps.
Upon arrival, the 2nd Wiltshire’s were with the 12th Brigade under Major General Clements. The brigade was used as an independent force dispatched to the Colesberg district, they were soon on the defensive against Boer raids once the cavalry were withdrawn to be used to use in the relief of Kimberly. They were assigned to defend an exposed position at the town of Rensburg where they met some very heavy fighting, the 2nd Wilts lost 14 men killed, 57 wounded, and more than a 100 taken as prisoners, of which private Trimnell was one. Most of the time the Boers just let their prisoner go after a couple of days, the Boers stripping the prisoners of their boots and equipment, those that were held were kept in pretty poor conditions in a barbed wire enclosure with little if no shelter and food and water were scarce so the handful of British prisoners that did die in captivity (only 97) died of disease or wounds suffered in the action they were taken prisoner,
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 7 months ago #13577

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Proof again that research is the key to elevating the status of an apparently unremarkable pair of medals. Thanks for posting.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 7 months ago #13588

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1527
I might have missed something here; how could an unfortunate chap who died 14021900 manage to get a KSA and clasps 1901 and 1902?
Regards IL.

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 7 months ago #13589

• Ians1900
  • Thank you received: 193
Hello all,

I've not been on here for a while, but those that know me know that the 2nd Battalion Wiltshire Regiment is my main area of interest. The name Trimnell rings a bell. I will have a look at the information I have and will be able to clarify this.

Ian

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 7 months ago #13590

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 289
Great question as the KSA was awarded only to those troops who fought in 1902, and who had served for 18 months. Service did not have to be continuous, but even with continuous service the recipient would have had to serve from December 1900 to have 18 months service before the war ended in May 1902 (and commencing before the death of Queen Victoria on 22 January 1901). Hence the majority of participants qualified for the QSA only.

Look at the naming on the medals being discussed.
Attachments:

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 7 months ago #13592

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Not entitled and not on WO100/340!

LinneyI wrote: I might have missed something here; how could an unfortunate chap who died 14021900 manage to get a KSA and clasps 1901 and 1902?
Regards IL.

Time to create page: 0.461 seconds