Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 7 months ago #13601

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Thanks Ian,
It appears to be missing, I did not notice, proof, if it were ever needed that one can't do everything from ones desk!
Actually going to Kew is often the only sure way of getting answers.
Thank you for clearing that up!
Regards Frank

Ians1900 wrote: Hello Frank,

The reference you asked for is: KSA Medal Roll - WO100/340 page 88 and for those interested the QSA Medal Roll reference is: WO100/197 page 275 of the whole document or page 92 (Handwritten – top right hand corner) of the pages relating to The Wiltshire Regiment.

Meurig,

Thank you, now I see him. So Trimnell continued to serve with the 1st Battalion and the War Diary entry regarding his death (One of 20 killed that day, but not mentioned by name) can be found on the Rifles Museum website by following this link:
www.thewardrobe.org.uk/research/war-diaries/detail/9825

When I come across stories of soldiers who have survived one war and in Trimnell’s case, also a period of time as a Prisoner of War and then served in yet another war, only to be killed, I find the stories so poignant.

My Great Grandfather served with Trimnell, and was also captured at Rensburg and held in Watervaal; it was a hell-hole where the men were forced to eat their own lice and anything else that looked remotely edible. There is a post on this website about the release of the prisoners, which turned into a mammoth posting and unfortunately lots of work for David: #10863.

Regards to all
Ian

The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 7 months ago #13602

• Ians1900
  • Thank you received: 193
Frank, you're very welcome.

Regards
Ian

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 7 months ago #13603

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Yes Ian, Trimnell's is a good story if tragic, he got knocked over in that desperate fighting at the beginning of WW1.

I wonder if his 14 trio was ever received, I wasn't looking for that when I saw his MIC yesterday or are these medals the only survivors of a soldier's lot?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 7 months ago #13605

• Ians1900
  • Thank you received: 193
Meurig,

I wonder. Either they weren't or someone has separated them from his South Africa Medals, which would be a great shame. But, if someone buys these medals, at least we have clarified the owners story through this Forum - another point to us I think!

Regards
Ian

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 7 months ago #13606

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 289
Absolutely one to the forum!!! Great job and setting the story straight. Trimnell deserves that as does the person who eventually buys the pair. Thanks to everyone for helping on this story! :P

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 7 months ago #13608

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
4885 Private Alfred Trimnell 1st Battalion Wiltshire Regiment appears to be his brother.

Time to create page: 0.450 seconds