Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bgr Edward Meyers, Heidelberg Commando 10 years 6 months ago #14651

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank

I have reached the stage in my life when I can remember only bits and pieces of the past, so it suits me now to thank you for an implied compliment!

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bgr Edward Meyers, Heidelberg Commando 10 years 6 months ago #14714

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49
Brett

Thanks for sharing.

Great medal and write up, as you know POW's have become more than a sub theme for me.

Brian

Bgr Edward Meyers, Heidelberg Commando 10 years 6 months ago #14715

• Brett Hendey
Thanks for commenting, Brian.

I have been trying to find out more about the separation of 'diehard' Boer POW's from their more accepting fellow prisoners, but so far in vain. I wondered if this practise was the reason for Meyers being transferred to Fort Gobindghar from Ahmednagar. Fort Gogindghar sounds like a Colditz-type prison, so perhaps it was for "irreconcilables". However, would such a naughty boy have gone on to woo and wed an English woman?

Regards
Brett

Bgr Edward Meyers, Heidelberg Commando 10 years 6 months ago #14716

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
I'm not sure if this particular fort should be compared with Offizierlager 1V C, this was, after all run by the Germans! :sick:
Did they have solitary confinement and four roll calls per day?
I'm also having a struggle to imagine a "Boer" choir, guitar band or indeed a complete orchestra, as well as a full program of theatre productions! :(
Kind regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Thanks for commenting, Brian.

I have been trying to find out more about the separation of 'diehard' Boer POW's from their more accepting fellow prisoners, but so far in vain. I wondered if this practise was the reason for Meyers being transferred to Fort Gobindghar from Ahmednagar. Fort Gogindghar sounds like a Colditz-type prison, so perhaps it was for "irreconcilables". However, would such a naughty boy have gone on to woo and wed an English woman?

Regards
Brett

Bgr Edward Meyers, Heidelberg Commando 10 years 6 months ago #14717

• Brett Hendey
Frank

I had a mind's eye picture of Fort Gobinghar as a grim, forbidding place, which is also how I pictured Colditz. Foolish really, since the middle of Amritsar is very different to the setting of Colditz. I wish I did know what life was like for the Boer POW's in Gobindghar. The Meyers' project has been full of frustrations, which included the lack of readily available information on the Boer POW camps in India.

Regards
Brett

Bgr Edward Meyers, Heidelberg Commando 10 years 6 months ago #14718

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
Only joking, actually, I rather like Colditz, just have a problem with the decor and the proprietor, but then, it always was much in need of modernization! :(
Attached, is the final entry of the log of an old friend of mine who had the misfortune of a long stay, not the best hotel to book into!
Love castles :) hate huns! :(
Kind regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Frank

I had a mind's eye picture of Fort Gobinghar as a grim, forbidding place, which is also how I pictured Colditz. Foolish really, since the middle of Amritsar is very different to the setting of Colditz. I wish I did know what life was like for the Boer POW's in Gobindghar. The Meyers' project has been full of frustrations, which included the lack of readily available information on the Boer POW camps in India.

Regards
Brett

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.068 seconds