Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pte. Thomas Tulloch 2nd Bn. R. Highlanders (Black Watch) PoW Magersfontein 9 years 8 months ago #21384

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 289
An important PoW pair to: Pte. Thomas Tulloch, 2nd Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) who was taken prisoner of war at Magersfointein on 11th December 1899.

Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, (ghost dates) 3 clasps: Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal 6632 Pte. T. Tulloch, 2nd Rl. Highldrs.
King’s South Africa 1901-02, 2 clasps 6634 Pte., Rl. Highrs. (Royal Highlanders)

In this important Boer War Black Week and Black Watch action, 53 were taken Prisoner of War. Their losses were about 44% and consisted of the Colonel, six other Officers, 88 men K.I.A. 11 Officers, 207 men wounded. The medal roll verifies both numbers to the same man; Thomas Tulloch. Note the good photograph of the RH PoWs marching in captivity.

Confirmation of Tulloch being one of the Black Watch PoWs is at: www.blackwatch.50megs.com/magsprison.html

For excellent information on this action by the 2Bn. R Highlanders, please go to: www.blackwatch.50megs.com/mags.html

Footnote

Possibly the same man as 1834 Private Thomas Tulloch, 7th Battalion Royal Scots, who enlisted on 30 August 1914 and was discharged on 13 January 1916 and was awarded the Silver War Badge. He was discharged due to injuries sustained at the Gretna (Quintinshill) railway disaster on 22 May 1915. 226 men were killed in the disaster, of which 217 were men of the Royal Scots who were aboard a troop train. A further 246 men were injured. With copied m.i.c. and some copied research on the accident.

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, coldstream

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte. Thomas Tullock 2nd Bn. R. Highlanders (Black Watch) PoW Magersfontein 9 years 8 months ago #21385

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
John

This pair is an excellent addition to your POW collection. Congratulations and thank you for sharing with us.

Regards
Brett

Pte. Thomas Tullock 2nd Bn. R. Highlanders (Black Watch) PoW Magersfontein 9 years 8 months ago #21389

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
AZYeoman,

What an excellent pair of medals. It would be all too easy to overlook them on a dealer's list.

I hadn't realised there were quite so many prisoners at Magersfontein.

Many thanks
David
Dr David Biggins

Pte. Thomas Tullock 2nd Bn. R. Highlanders (Black Watch) PoW Magersfontein 9 years 8 months ago #21393

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
A great addition to the collection, congratulations and thank you for sharing.

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Pte. Thomas Tulloch 2nd Bn. R. Highlanders (Black Watch) PoW Magersfontein 9 years 8 months ago #21396

• saxon
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi, nice medals, I see he transferred to the 1st battalion.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Pte. Thomas Tulloch 2nd Bn. R. Highlanders (Black Watch) PoW Magersfontein 9 years 8 months ago #21401

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 289
Thank you! It's good to see I it in print. :-)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.856 seconds