• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Served: Commandant Lategan.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Van Der Watt, Johannes George. Burger 7 years 1 month ago #52092

• kvdw
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am very interested in any further information on this person. I take it that what appears here comes from the Medal Role and/or his application for an ABO - is that correct? If so, are any further details provided there (I don't know, for example, if such applications contained birth dates, current addresses, etc., or only the name of the applicant's commando), and if there are, is there somewhere I might access such details? The Shearings provide a few further particulars, some of which are (I take it) drawn from additional sources, but I was wondering whether anything else appears on the actual Medal Role or ABO application.

I apologize if these are somewhat ignorant questions - I am still a neophyte in these matters, and would appreciate any information or advice.

Thanks!

Van Der Watt, Johannes George. Burger 7 years 1 month ago #52165

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Kvdv,

The entries here were taken from the model roll for the ABO which itself originated from the applications from the men themselves. The forms are stored in Pretoria.

If you contact Audrey (details in contacts above), she should be able to assist.

Good luck
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: kvdw

Van Der Watt, Johannes George. Burger 7 years 1 month ago #52207

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi
Johannes George van der Watt (“Jan Aar”) is incorrectly listed in the Forsyth roll as serving in Comdt Lategan’s commando.

He joined up with Comdt Scheepers’ Cdo in the Aberdeen District in January 1901 and was one of five Scheepers men under Judge Hugo who left for the Orange Free State with General Wynand Malan on 14 July 1901. Malan hoped that he could persuade the OFS Government to proclaim the Cape districts under guerrilla warfare operations as part of the Boer Republic, making the rebels legitimate belligerents. A captured Cape rebel could then claim OFS citizenship and be sent to a PoW camp and not tried for treason. This proved to be a pipe dream.
After the party’s return to the Cape, Jan Aar served under Malan for some months and was wounded in the leg when Malan avoided capture. He is mentioned in “Oorlogsavonture van Genl Wynand Malan” by H J C Pieterse. Afterwards he also served under Comdt van Heerden and laid down arms 5-7June 1902 at Cradock (not Aberdeen as stated on Vorm “B”) as part of Comdt Fouche’s Commando.

The photo was probably posed at the time of his surrender : the hat is worn in the exact way as on a group photo of more than 30 Aberdeen Rebels taken at Cradock after they laid down arms.
Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, kvdw

Van Der Watt, Johannes George. Burger 7 years 1 month ago #52212

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Henk
Thank for another remarkable record from your collection! I will never cease to be amazed!
Regards
Brett

Van Der Watt, Johannes George. Burger 7 years 1 month ago #52280

• kvdw
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
David
Thank you very much for the information and advice.

Henk
Wow - I never expected so much information, and an amazing photo to boot! Remarkable, as Brett said! I really appreciate it - thank you so very much!

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.656 seconds