Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 8 years 10 months ago #40900

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Interestingly, WO100/194 gives his number as 2497, but, confirms his clasps and his date of death.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sluggie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 8 years 10 months ago #40901

• Sluggie
  • Sluggie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Frank,

What medals was he issued for his service? None of these remain in the possession of the family.

Many Thanks.

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 8 years 10 months ago #40902

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I would think it was just the single QSA, it was actually quite difficult to pick up a medal back then, although, in his case, he could never have worn it himself of course, there is nothing to suggest it was not issued to his next of kin.

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 7 years 11 months ago #46164

• Sluggie
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
www.forces-war-records.co.uk/records/141...hire-light-infantry/

Is anyone able to access this as it relates to my Great Great Grandfather. I would like especially to see what it says about nationality.

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 7 years 11 months ago #46172

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448

Sluggie wrote: www.forces-war-records.co.uk/records/141...hire-light-infantry/

Is anyone able to access this as it relates to my Great Great Grandfather. I would like especially to see what it says about nationality.

In my experience with FWR's Anglo-Boer War records, whatever it says for Nationality will be a huge uneducated guess, and given that no papers survive for this man I cannot see how they would know his nationality in the first place. It is a silly piece of information they offer as nationality is subjective, especially with folk born in Ireland pre-1922 (independence) - are they Irish or British? A prickly question even today.

The fact his name is on a war memorial in Cork just means he has an association there - lived, married a Cork lady or perhaps his favourite Aunt who lived in Cork persuaded the authorities to put his name on the memorial.

I don't know what you know about him but he had a widow Annie who received monies owed to him by the War Office - see Soldier's Effects on Ancestry.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sluggie

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 7 years 11 months ago #46173

• Sluggie
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for that. Yes, Alfred Morris married an Annie Hurley. Good to know she got what was owed. Annie was born in Cork, as per the 1901 census and they were living together as far back as 1893 and perhaps sooner in Barracks accommodation near Victoria Barracks, now Collins Barracks Cork. Interestingly he names his unit as the 85th regiment which I believe later formed part of the KSLI.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.885 seconds