Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Identification Data on British & S.A. Medals....... 8 years 2 weeks ago #45682

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Afternoon Everyone.....

Just before Christmas I mentioned a booklet that I obtained that gave information on the naming of units etc on British medals......

The original forum is located here: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/13-miscellany...interpretation#44678

I have started to re-type the South African list......

If there are enough people interested I will post each section as I get them finished for your information.....

Of course no information of this type is 100% perfect and if you wish please make notes of corrections that should be made.......

First section "A" units......

Mike
SOUTH AFRICAN UNITS

“A”

ABOLONDOLOZI LEVY – Raised 1880 for Basutoland Rebellion from natives of the Matatiele are of Griqualand East. Mainly from the Bhaca tribe. Disbanded 1882. Mobilized for a short time 1886.

ACTIVE CITIZEN FORCE – 1913 (ACF) The whole of part-time units if the Union of South Africa were so known. See also UDF.

ADELAIDE CAVALRY or MOUNTED VOLUNTEERS – 1864, Under second name served in 9th Kaffir War. Disbanded September 1880, but later re-raised.

ADELAIDE CAVALRY COMPANY – 1876-80, and re-raised as ADELAIDE MOUNTED INFANTRY – 1881

ADELAID VOLUNTEER CORPS – 1877.

ADELAID VOLUNTEER RIFLES – 9th Kaffir War.

AFRICAN COMPANY – 1813-16, Veteran company from Cape Town area, formed of men unfit for field service

AFRICAN AUXILIARY PIONEER CORPS – 1941-49, (APC). Raised as African Pioneer Corps, and later became High Commission Territory Corps. See Afrikander Corps.

ALBANY AND BEAUFORT RANGERS – 1800. Eastern Province Corps of the Cape, raised near Grahamstown.

ALBANY FINGO LEVY – 1877-78. Loyal Bantu, served in 9th Kaffir War.

ALBANY HOTTENTOT LEVY – 1851, also called Grahamstown Hottentot Levy, 8th Kaffir War.

ALBANY MOUNTED RANGERS / RIFLES – 1876-89. Served in 9th Kaffir War.

ALBANY MOUNTED SHARPSHOOTERS – 1835, Served in 6th Kaffir War.

ALBANY MOUNTED VOLUNTEERS – 1878, served 9th Kaffir War, (apparently no connection with Albany Rangers)

ALBANY RANGERS – 1823

ALBANY VOLUNTEERS – 1838

ALBERT BURGHERS – Cape burghers wo volunteered to serve in 9th Kaffir War in Basutoland. On medal rolls as Albany Mounted Sharpshooters for 1877.

ALBERT MOUNTED INFANTRY – 1899 / 1901. Raised for South African War

ALEXANDRA MOUNTED RIFLES – 1865-99. Raised on the south coast of Natal. Parent corps of Natal Mounted Rifles; in 1888 became the NMR.

ALEXANDER MOUNTED RANGERS – 1877-79. Eastern Province unit of Cape Colony. Served in 9th Kaffir War.

ALICE LEVY – 1850. Mounted Europeans of 1850 Kaffir War. Unit of Eastern Province, Cape Colony.

ALICE FINGO LEVY – 1851.

ALIWAL NORTH VOLUNTEERS – 1878.

ALIWAL NORTH MOUNTED VOLUNTEERS – 1874-78. Cape Colony unit served in 9th Kaffir War. On medal roll as Albany Mounted Sharpshooters for 1877.

AMANGWANE SCOUTS – 1879. Mounted Bantu of Northern Natal in Zulu War.

AMATEMBU REGIMENT – 1881. Former from loyal element of tribe in Transkei area of Cape for Basutoland Rebellion.

AMATONGA SCOUTS – 1879. Mounted Bantu of Natal, attached to the 17th Lancers as scouts in the Zulu War.

ARMOURED CAR COMPANY #1 – 1940. First unit of South African Tank Corps.

ARMSTRONG'S HORSE – 1850-52. Served in 5th Kaffir War. Two troops of Hottentots, one from Riversdale and one from Swellendam.

ASHBURNER'S LIGHT HORSE – 1899-1901. Cape Colony unit raised for South African War.
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Identification Data on British & S.A. Medals....... 8 years 2 weeks ago #45686

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Interested members
Some time ago, Mike sent me the full copy of that book. I found it to be very useful asset. If Mike can find the time to post the whole text here, I am sure others would also find it useful.
Thanks again, Mike
IL.

Identification Data on British & S.A. Medals....... 8 years 2 weeks ago #45688

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Agreed, very useful information. Many thanks, Mike.
Dr David Biggins

Identification Data on British & S.A. Medals....... 8 years 2 weeks ago #45691

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Mike
I also agree.

There is one small point ..... In the case of the Alexandra Mounted Rifles the period of its existence should be 1865 - 88, not 1865-99.

It would be wrong to complicate the list, but the lineages of some South African regiments were complex. The Alexandria Mounted Rifles link to the Natal Mounted Rifles is a case in point. The AMR name ceased to exist after 1888, but the AMR recruiting area fell under the NMR for only a short time (1888 - 1894), after which the men served in the Border Mounted Rifles (1894 - 1913). Finally in 1913, under the new Union Government. the BMR and NMR became the 3rd Mounted Rifles, which later reverted to the NMR name.

Regards
Brett

Identification Data on British & S.A. Medals....... 8 years 2 weeks ago #45692

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Brett makes a good point - would be worth consulting Tylden The Armed Forces of South Africa.

No point in putting out erroneous information.

Checking the entry for the ABOLONDOLOZI LEVY it is direct copy of Tylden, but misses out a whole lot of detail given by Tylden. Looking at other entries given by Mike it seems the author of this booklet has simply, but heavily, summarised Tylden to avoid any copyright conflicts. By my reckoning Tylden is in copyright for another 13 years.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Identification Data on British & S.A. Medals....... 8 years 2 weeks ago #45700

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning Gentlemen......

Due to the errors that may be repeated until they could become fact and the possibility of copyright infringement I think that just drop the project and use the booklet for my own information purposes......

Thanks again for your help.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds