Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Anglo-Boer War and the Somme 7 years 8 months ago #47349

• SWB
  • SWB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 448
Doing "my bit" to mark the centenary of the start of the battle of the Somme, I have compiled a list of participants taken from data in The Register on my blog .

If you would like to add names of ABW veterans who fought on the Somme that would be great - I am particularly interested in Tommy Atkins.

This is the QSA to HO Goodhall killed on the 1st July, his story is here .

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anglo-Boer War and the Somme 7 years 8 months ago #47361

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Not really what you are looking for, Meurig, but nevertheless the QSA of a Somme battle casualty - Trooper Thorkel Waltham Bru-de-Wold, who served with the Natal Police in the Siege of Ladysmith. During the 1906 Natal Rebellion he was a Captain in the Mapping Department of the Natal Militia. During World War I, he served first with Enslin's Horse in the German South West African Campaign. He then served with the South African Infantry in Egypt before moving to France. He was killed in action at Delville Wood on the 15th day of the Battle of the Somme serving as a Second-Lieutenant in A Company, 2nd SA Infantry, which had been raised in Natal.

I have his QSA, but his Rebellion Medal is missing, and his 1914/15 Star trio was probably never claimed. An unnamed trio has been added to his QSA. His next-of-kin was his sister. Both siblings were childless. They were the only children of Colonel H T Bru-de-Wold CMG DSO VD, Officer Commanding the Natal Militia during the Rebellion, and one of the Colony of Natal's most distinguished soldiers.

Brett

The scans are from Ian Uys' book 'Roll Call. The Delville Wood Story' Uys Publishers 1991.
Attachments:

Anglo-Boer War and the Somme 7 years 8 months ago #47362

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
My apologies! I tried but failed to get the two scans shown above to link coherently.
Brett

Anglo-Boer War and the Somme 7 years 8 months ago #47363

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Capital stuff Brett despite the 1906 being M.I.A.

I recall a few years ago - I think it was on City Coins - that the old boy's 1906 was sold as a single medal. I foolishly let it pass unmolested B)

Regards

Rory

Anglo-Boer War and the Somme 7 years 8 months ago #47366

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 179
Rory

City Coins Auction 59, November 2009, sold for R2150

Natal Rebellion Medal
bar: 1906
624. – Col. H.T. Bru-de-Wold VF 600 – 1.000
Commdt. Genl. Natal Militia Reserves
Colonel Hilmar Theodor Bru-de-Wold was a very well known military figure in early Natal
history. He was born in Norway and immigrated to Natal in 1862. He joined the Alexandria
Mounted Rifles in 1865 and served as Sergeant Major during the Anglo-Zulu war. He was
appointed the first (and only) Commanding Officer of the Umzimkulu Mounted Rifles when
this unit was formed in 1884. When the various volunteer coastal units amalgamated to form
the Natal Mounted Rifles in 1888 he was appointed Major and Second-in-Command. When
the unit was split a few years later he was appointed the first Commanding Officer of the
Border Mounted Rifles. He was wounded during the Defence of Ladysmith during the Boer
War and was awarded the CMG. In 1902 he was promoted Colonel and was appointed
Commandant of Natal Volunteers, being awar ded the DSO for his part in the Bambata
Rebellion.
Renamed in same style running script style as for medals awarded to officers. The edge of the
medal rim is rounded and not square, however the naming style suggests that the renaming has
probably been officially executed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Anglo-Boer War and the Somme 7 years 8 months ago #47367

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
The very one thanks Jon - I wasn't aware it was so long ago!

I wonder what happened to the remainder of his medals?

Regards

Rory

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.580 seconds