TOPIC:

Medals to HMS Ophir, Juno and St George 5 years 2 months ago #61979

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Fevyer and Wilson list two medals to men on Ophir from Diadem so I wonder if Saurin is not the only recipient to this ship?

Farnley, A H. Act Ch Yeo Sig
Saurin, GL. Midn
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to HMS Ophir, Juno and St George 5 years 2 months ago #61980

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Farnley's biography is here but no mention of how his QSA is named. The post includes a picture of him wearing his medals.

gmic.co.uk/topic/30406-signal-lieutenant...ambleton-farnley-rn/
Dr David Biggins

Medals to HMS Ophir, Juno and St George 5 years 2 months ago #61982

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448

djb wrote:
Fevyer and Wilson presumably omitted Juno, Ophir and St George from their analysis because they did not consider them engaged in the war?

Thank you very much David. My blind spot comes from the fact that Ophir did not serve in a fighting capacity and the extracts from WO100 show the men previously served on fighting ships - Powerful, Tartar, Niobe, Monarch etc. Presumably all men on the Ophir QSA roll served in fighting ships and Saurin was the one who did not?

I will look when I get home, but is Ophir included in Peter Singlehurst's book "Afloat and Ashore"?
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Medals to HMS Ophir, Juno and St George 5 years 2 months ago #61984

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
This man served on Ophir but not in the Boer War

Four to Leading Stoker J. Ezard, R.N. 1914-15 Star (Sto. 1); B.W.M.; Victory Medal; Naval L.S. & G.C., Geo. V (Act. Ldg. Sto., H.M.S. Wahine),

H.M.S. Wahine, 4,436 tons, was a requisitioned passenger ship, originally used as a fleet messenger but then converted into a successful minelayer. She was sold out of the service in 1919 after laying a total of 11,378 mines between July 1916 and the Armistice.

Sold with original parchment Certificate of Service, a testimonial from Wahine's commander, another official document and an extremely interesting manuscript drary covering the recipient's service as a stoker in H.M.S.
Ophir in 1901. Ophir, an Orient Line steamer, was chartered as a temporary royal yacht to convey the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall & York (later King George V & Queen Mary) on a tour of the Empire following the accession of King Edward VII. This highly successful tour included a visit to Australia to open the first parliament there - a programme for the occasion being included in the diary - and took the royal party to many different locations in a round-trip which lasted seven months.

From Bonhams, 1997.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to HMS Ophir, Juno and St George 5 years 2 months ago #61985

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to HMS Ophir, Juno and St George 5 years 2 months ago #61993

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I have updated the initial post with a roll for the 3 ships and started to record to which ship the medal was named.

If you come across any QSAs associated with Ophir, St George or Juno, please let me know and I will update the post.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.488 seconds