Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Greek volunteers 10 years 9 months ago #12410

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
While we often hear about the 'foreign' contingents fighting with the Boers, the role played by non-colonial countries on the side of the British is less well known.

I came across this article in The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent, Tuesday, February 13, 1900:

I wonder what happened to them?
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rhodri95

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Greek volunteers 10 years 9 months ago #12418

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I wonder what King Leonidas would have made of it!

Greek volunteers 10 years 9 months ago #12422

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Frank
Influential opinion in Greece was always very appreciative of the support given to them by the Brits during their struggle for independence. Feb 7 was probably a time when such a gesture might be made. I did read somewhere that quite a few European nations sent messages of support to the Brit. Govt during and after Black Week.
Regards
IL.

Greek volunteers 10 years 9 months ago #12427

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Perhaps if King Leonidas had been in any way sympathetic, he might well have just ordered 10,000 Spartan soldiers out of Sparta to sail for the Cape! :woohoo:

LinneyI wrote: Frank
Influential opinion in Greece was always very appreciative of the support given to them by the Brits during their struggle for independence. Feb 7 was probably a time when such a gesture might be made. I did read somewhere that quite a few European nations sent messages of support to the Brit. Govt during and after Black Week.
Regards
IL.

Greek volunteers 10 years 9 months ago #12429

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Frank,
I think they might have stood a good chance of victory but only if those iconic shields could deflect incoming shell's :blink:

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Perhaps if King Leonidas had been in any way sympathetic, he might well have just ordered 10,000 Spartan soldiers out of Sparta to sail for the Cape! :woohoo:

LinneyI wrote: Frank
Regards
IL.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Greek volunteers 10 years 9 months ago #12430

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
David,
Thank you for posting this, I had no idea this happened, where there many more non-colonials that came to our aid?

Paul :)

djb wrote: While we often hear about the 'foreign' contingents fighting with the Boers, the role played by non-colonial countries on the side of the British is less well known.

I came across this article in The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent, Tuesday, February 13, 1900:

I wonder what happened to them?

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.489 seconds