Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Noonan's / DNW auctions 7 years 6 months ago #48861

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
I got the regimentally rare/unique China 1900 to the South Wales Borderers which is missing the QSA and some other non-ABW medals.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Noonan's / DNW auctions 7 years 6 months ago #48888

• Jon
  • Thank you received: 50
I went for 1180 too - it was way under-estimated at 240-280 so I bid really high (I thought) but was no were near the £1200 it went for. :(

Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 4 clasps, Relief of Mafeking, Elandslaagte, Defence of Ladysmith, Transvaal (44 Tpr. B. H. Hardy, Imp. Lt. Horse), good very fine £240-280
Footnote
Hardy was the son of the Bandmaster of the 2nd (Volunteer) Battalion, South Wales Borderers, a veteran of the Indian Mutiny, in which he served in the 8th King’s Royal Irish Hussars. According to a local newspaper obituary, Hardy Jr. ‘served with the I.L.H. in the Boer War, being in the siege of Ladysmith’ and was employed for over 23 years by the East Rand Proprietary Mines.

Sold with two newspaper obituary cuttings, for father and son, together with a doctor’s report concerning the recovery of ‘Mr. & Mrs. B. H. Hardy’ following a car accident in Natal in August 1935

Noonan's / DNW auctions 7 years 6 months ago #48890

• SWB
Last night I spoke to the collector who bought 1180, to say he is pleased is an understatement.
Researcher & Collector

Noonan's / DNW auctions 7 years 6 months ago #48891

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good heavens, that is very nice, certainly from memory, at least, whilst not unique to the regiment, as just a China War Medal, I suspect the actual service in both campaigns would be unique, a bargain, I would think.

SWB wrote: I got the regimentally rare/unique China 1900 to the South Wales Borderers which is missing the QSA and some other non-ABW medals.

Noonan's / DNW auctions 7 years 6 months ago #48894

• SWB

Frank Kelley wrote: Good heavens, that is very nice, certainly from memory, at least, whilst not unique to the regiment, as just a China War Medal, I suspect the actual service in both campaigns would be unique, a bargain, I would think.

SWB wrote: I got the regimentally rare/unique China 1900 to the South Wales Borderers which is missing the QSA and some other non-ABW medals.

Morning Frank

I have done more research, just 6 ORs from the SWB served in China 1900, all on the Divisional Signallers roll, but only one also served in the ABW - the medal I now own. Now looking for the QSA to Pte 3821 E Thomas SWB.

Generally QSA & China combinations to the Army are rare, I think the most are for the RGA (I have a pair and a QSA missing the China). The RGA are interesting as some men served twice in the ABW with the China stint in between - fancy serving two separate wars half a world apart in one year. The most common combination on the market is for the Navy (I don't have this combination). I do have a China to the Navy, no ABW service but he was POW in WW1 when his submarine ran aground off the Dutch coast.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector

Noonan's / DNW auctions 7 years 6 months ago #48913

• FSburgher
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Rory and others
It is becoming more apparent that Boer war medals are still extremely popular and flavour of the season.
Out of 8 bids on Sept DNW items only 2 were close, and I considered my bids "high" in relation to the catalogue reserve prices listed. :(
UK and US bidders must be having a field day. :) What are the prices likely to do during the next 5 years??
Are medal collectors now becoming hedge fund managers and investors rather than history buffs and historians?
Global comments invited. :cheer: :ohmy:
regards to all
Evyn

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.471 seconds