Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 7 years 11 months ago #45988

• FSburgher
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi all;
"Schwikkard of Natal and Old Transvaal" written by Cecil Cowley. Published in 1974.
159 pages of personal experiences first in the 1881 war against the British, transport riding and prospecting; and the years in between building up to the 2nd ABW. :cheer:

Otto Schwiggard's personal interaction and description of characters of his time; Soldiers, Republicans & Politicians was most interesting for me.
the stories reveal how resilient the old South African pioneers were, and what endurance was necessary to survive in a wild undeveloped colony.

A well worthwhile read. I think every young South Africans across the board would find the information enlightening and informative. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 7 years 9 months ago #46996

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294
Came across an original copy of 'The Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry Cavalry' in the local library today. I know it's been reprinted, but this was a fascinating browse, and I'll go back to it when I have a bit more time to spare. (It's not possible to take it out of the library)
There's a fold-out map in the book; does the reprint have that?

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 7 years 9 months ago #46997

• BereniceUK

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 7 years 9 months ago #46998

• BereniceUK
The illustrations are by the author, Trooper L. H. Johnson. What a talented man he was.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 7 years 8 months ago #47322

• Starling
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0

David Grant wrote: My "go to " book is the "Veterinary History". To my mind a much under quoted reference. Not only is Smith an excellent writer and knowledgeable too but he presents the war in a different perspective.

Here is his description of Sanna's Post. The devastation. Imagine a 1000 odd corpses littering the battlefield.

Hi ,
Thank you for this most interesting
Having recently visited the Veterinary research facility at Allerton ( KZN ) a facility that saw use during the war I have now become interested in this aspect of the war.
I had a quick Google hoping to find a PDF copy at archive.org but no such luck
I then had a look at WorldCat and notice that there are apparently NO copies of this publication in any South African library ?
The author does have a short bio at the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.

Major General Sir Frederick Smith KCMG, CB, FRCVS (1857-1929)

knowledge.rcvs.org.uk/heritage-and-histo...archive-collections/

Amongst his collected archived papers are a diary kept during the war as well as other papers relevant to the war
( Have a look at the "Related Documents" box on the right )

May I ask if your copy is an original hard back ?
or
Some form of a scanned copy ? ( I would assume that it was long out of copyright ? )

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 7 years 8 months ago #47489

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Well have found a book with one of the longest titles I have seen in ages but then again it is a long flight from here to Ireland.......

When finished will let you know how it is.......

SAM STEELE, NORTH-WEST MOUNTED POLICE, FOURTY YEARS IN CANADA, REMINISCENSES OF THE GREAT NORTH-WEST WITH SOME ACCOUNTS OF HIS SERVICE IN SOUTH AFRICA BY COLONEL S.B. STEELE, C.B., M.V.O., LATE OF THE N.W.M.P., STRATHCONA’S HORSE AND THE SOUTH AFRICAN CONSTABULARY, by S.B. Steele, edited by Mollie Glenn Niblett, Dodd, Meede and Co., 1915, (Reprinted 2000)

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.626 seconds