• Page:

TOPIC:

Sand casting? 11 years 8 months ago #4379

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
A closer read of the Spink catalogue revealed lot 324 which consists of a set of sand cast medals. The description says:

An Unusual Collection of Sand-Cast Medals. A set of 16 uniface sand-castings, featuring the Military Medal; Waterloo 1815, reverse engraved 'Luke Brown 2nd. Battn. 30th. Foot.'; India General Service 1854-95; Crimea 1854-56; South Africa 1877; Egypt 1882-89, dated; India General Service 1895-1902, V.R.; Queen's Sudan 1896-98; Queen's South Africa 1899-1902; India General Service 1908-35; Khedive's Sudan 1910-22, 1st type; Mercantile Marine War Medal; General Service 1918-62; Army Long Service & G.C.; Territorial Efficiency Medal; Royal Naval Reserve Long Service & G.C., all complete with suspension claw or clip, the reverse design depicted in each case except for the Waterloo and Khedive's Sudan medals, generally very fine (16)
Estimate £ 80-100

I have seen the Gordon stars which were cast in sand but these are clearly superior manufacture.

Does anyone know how these were produced?

With thanks
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Sand casting? 11 years 8 months ago #4381

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello David,
I must admit to not noticing these when I read the catalogue for this sale, I'd agree with you, they do look better than the very crude looking Gordon Stars, but they are single sided only and looking closely I would not say they are that good really.
I should think that a die has been made from an original medal in each case maybe using the lost wax process.
Regards Frank

Re: Sand casting? 11 years 8 months ago #4386

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Frank,

That would make sense and explain the superior quality vis-a-vis the Gordon stars.

The loop surrounding each medal is interesting too and perhaps both supports them and makes it possible to secure to the back to some form of mount?

Certainly an interesting lot. Not one for me though!

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Sand casting? 11 years 8 months ago #4392

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
David,
You can see on some of these, the claws are cast as one with the medal, so the loops form a frame to make suspension possible.
Will not be bidding on these!
Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.989 seconds