TOPIC:

February 19th 7 years 1 month ago #52059

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

109th day of our Siege. Rations down to a quarter of a lb. of everything. The poor Tommies say they are starving. They come and scrape the pots out and beg for scraps and any cold tea. Buller must come soon.

I did not go up to hospital this morning. The doctor told Ada to lie up today. Glen Jameson is not so well again.

There has been very heavy firing in the distance again today, the heaviest I think we have heard yet, so I would think Buller has kept the position he got yesterday. Mr. Arbuckle, a resident of over thirty years here, died last night of enteric fever. We heard yesterday some men were out and came across sixteen soldiers quite exhausted in a sangar at Helpmakaar Hill. They were taken to hospital. It is supposed they were suffering from exposure and starvation. Shelling heavy from Umbulwana into town this afternoon.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 19th 7 years 1 month ago #52060

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

Very cheerful again today, all yesterday morning Buller was pounding away, and we could see shells bursting on a high hill to the south, and this morning came the news that he had captured the whole hill, and a detached spur, and a farm, and to our joy, his helios could be seen working from the crest. It is only twelve or thirteen miles off, and is right on the flank of the Boer position in front of Colenso, and it so high that it commands all the ground for miles, and has a full view of Ladysmith (the first time the relief column has seen us), and there is really no hill or position in front of it of any importance till Bulwana Mountain, which is only four miles from here, and the defences of which all face this way, so that Buller could take them in the rear. I went to see Sir G. White this morning, and he was jubilant, and said that Buller meant real business this time, and that the native spies and runners all say the Boers are very disheartened, and are saying that it is all up, and that the English are everywhere. From 150 to 300 Boer waggons were seen trekking away northwards today, and this time I really think things all look like an early relief. Failing my spending your birthday with you, which is impossible, I think to be relieved on it would be the next nicest way of keeping the anniversary. There are three days yet, so that it is just possible, though I hardly dare hope for it after so many disappointments, and shall be well content if I am free before the end of the month. Buller ended his message this morning with “Everything going splendidly”, so that he is evidently very happy about it all.
Dr David Biggins

February 19th 7 years 1 month ago #52062

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Plover in Mafeking would certainly be a most welcome addition to dinner and rather better than horseflesh, I cannot comment on the "bread" although, I dare say it was tolerable.

djb wrote: 1900 - Buller takes Hlangwane Hill. Lord Roberts arrives at Paardeberg. Gloucesters attack Kitchener's Kopje.
1901 - De Wet abandons his invasion.

In Kimberley:

Colonel Peakman and 150 men Mt Troops proceeded in the afternoon to MArais farm – a small reconnoitring party was sent in direction of Barkly West.

The first train came through from the South in the evening, and the line North was completed to Dronfield. Real good work.

In Mafeking:

Went out to try and shoot plover, which form an acceptable addition to our rations, as we have now come down to horseflesh and six ounces of bread per day. Fairly quiet day. Strolling down to town in the evening, I assumed that their snipers were too much occupied with our people in the brickfields to bother about me. They were not, however, and were unpleasantly attentive.

February 19th 6 years 1 month ago #57604

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

German walked in and gave himself up. We hear that Buller is gaining a position on Xingolo and Bloy's Hill Monte Christo. This he should have done on the 15th December.

Heavy storm came on about 3 p.m. cooled the atmosphere though it gave a wet night for me on duty with picket.

Countersign that night was "Long Street." Nothing happened.
Dr David Biggins

February 19th 2 years 1 month ago #81687

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Monday, 19 February

This has been one of the quietest days of the siege: only one Big Ben and one 9-pounder, and up to about 9 p.m. only about a dozen snipers’ shots. It is conjectured the enemy have received news that has quietened them. At any rate it has been a pleasant break in the monotony of the siege.

Wessels, the temporarily deposed native chief, one of whose wives was killed by a piece of shell two or three days ago, has sent up a message stating that he is very angry with the Boers, and requests permission to send out his men to attack them. This has not been allowed, as possibly they will be more useful later on.

The Colonel has had one of our Maxims removed from the east, and placed on the north front in one of the armoured trucks. I imagine the enemy must think we have no end of Maxims, etc., as we have continually fired them from all points, here, there, and everywhere, no wonder they are chary of attacking.

Am sorry to have to write that fevers and all other ills are beginning to manifest themselves. Four or five cases of typhoid already in the hospital, and diphtheria, or a sort of severe, white, sore throat and bad eyes prevalent amongst the children. If we are going to be unfortunate in the matter of health, it will be ten times worse than all the harm the enemy can do us. So far, we have luckily been able to keep the town fairly wholesome and clean from a sanitary point of view, and the mortality under the circumstances has been extremely low.

Owing to one or two noticeable causes of “drunk”, the Colonel commanding has ordered the closing of all bars, for a week, from tomorrow.
Dr David Biggins

February 19th 2 months 16 hours ago #93837

• Nik
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 9
The owner of the Boer rifle I have was killed on this day.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.648 seconds