TOPIC:

February 26th 12 years 1 month ago #2377

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Ladysmith siege day 117 (98%). Mafeking siege day 137 (63%). Lumsden's Horse sail from India.
1902 - End of the drive in E. Free State. Meyer and 600 Boers captured.

In Mafeking:

Runners in this morning, news very meagre. Her Majesty's telegram received, which gave intense satisfaction, but we have been anxiously anticipating decisive intelligence. The Kaffirs report that the Boers are few round here, but will not abandon .The prosecution of the siege; on our side we cannot afford a serious sortie, as a reverse might mean the fall of Mafeking, which is not desirable or in the least probable. The Boers began shell-fire at dawn this morning, and continued it at intervals all day. This was the most rapid fire we have had, and the continuous clanging of bells might have induced a stranger to suppose that we were indulging in some popular celebration. They particularly favoured our end of the town. In the evening we tried our new gun on Game Tree fort at about 2300 yards, she was a great success, and her range was apparently only limited by eyesight.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 26th 8 years 1 month ago #45375

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Farquhar, the mayor, is not in favour with the townsfolk, who say he is too servile to their highmightinesses of the army. — One of the colonels, says the Ladysmith people have been very selfish all through the war, and I say he is a liar, to use Dan O’Connell’s favourite phrase. Four hundred pounds will not compensate me for the havoc our troops have wrought on my place, and the compensation, if any, will be merely nominal. One per cent of the damage done, may be. The Soldiers don’t care how much damage they do to our houses and other property, because they know that most of them will be withdrawn after the war. The Boers would have treated us better, for they have to remain here and trade with us, and they would see the bad policy of making bitter enemies of us by wantonly wrecking our town. The soldiers have got most of our best houses, and have pulled them to pieces finely. — they have seized our ornamental plantations for fire wood. — they have pressed our men and women, as servants in their hospitals — they have completely stripped our gardens and orchards —they have seized our private property, and wrecked the town generally. The Tommies steal anything they can lay their hands on, and their officers rob us under the pretext of martial law. There is much sickness in the town, and our whole town is being poisoned by the horrible, rotten mealie meal bread. (I have just heard that this beastly composition has been condemned by the Doctors). We are to have ships’ biscuits in future. We are under no obligation to the Queen’s troops, and it would have been better for us if they had continued their fight instead of stopping here. No doubt we should have been robbed a bit by the Boers, but not as much as we have been by our sworn defenders. Beside we should have received compensation after the war, for damage done by the enemy. All the troops have done for us, is to wreck the town, starve us for four months, and draw the fire of the Boer cannon into our streets, by which many people have been killed. It needed the example of bur volunteers, before they would attempt to silence the Boers’ cannon on the hills around us. “Martial law,” sounds much better than “devilish tyranny”, but as a matter of fact, they are identical. — A few shells coming in from Bulwan. — I have great doubts about our so called victories, (except Lord Roberts’) and suspect they are not much better than Jamison’s at Doornkop, and when the Boers evacuate Natal, it will be for want of provisions, more than anything else. — Lord Roberts has won a battle in Cape Colony, or in the Free State, and killed 1700 Boers, and taken Cronje the commandant who routed Jamison’s raiders, and 8000 Boers, prisoners. — A column sent by Lord Roberts, to relieve Mafeking. — German artillery commandant, taken by Buller.
Dr David Biggins

February 26th 7 years 1 month ago #52264

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Much better night but still unhappy. Walked to my lines about 2/3 of a mile, but was thoroughly done up on return. Have no appetite for even the little food we get - yet I feel starved. What I want is a few bottles of good sound Port, custard puddings, milk etc., to build me up a bit. I’m a perfect scarecrow! though fat compared to many poor devils. News was circulated about half past three that Cronje had surrendered to Lord Roberts with 8000 men, leaving 1700 killed and wounded. Buller should now make a dash and get in tomorrow - Amajuba Day. What a revenge and happy termination to our exile.
Dr David Biggins

February 26th 7 years 1 month ago #52265

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Good news in this afternoon, that Lord Roberts had surrounded 8000 Boers under Cronje near Paardekraal, and later on hear they have surrendered and lost 1700 killed and wounded. We may have to wait yet for Lord Roberts to come to relieve us.

There has been a little firing in the distance today, tomorrow being "Amajuba Day" a very big fight is expected.

Wilfrid much better tonight. Ada sent to bed by Dr. Buntine, we hope and trust it is not enteric. Uncle George gone on piquet this evening.
Dr David Biggins

February 26th 6 years 1 month ago #57688

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Another sweep arranged up to 10th prox. Long Tom gave us the benefit of several shells also played upon some of the out-lying stations with, I think, very little damage - we heard of none. Buller's guns still sound a very long way off. News of General Robert's successful action against Cronge and his absolute surrender was received with cheers and brightened us up a little. Was sent out in charge of our picket for the night and following day.
Dr David Biggins

February 26th 2 years 1 month ago #81798

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Monday, 26 February

Big Ben commenced to get in his terrible work at a very early hour this morning, and sent us in 5 big shells at short intervals from about 5.30 to a little after 6 a.m. The first one came at the back of our premises, the second one about 20 yards in front, the concussion again breaking all our windows. I was in the front shop at the time and am afraid did not retreat with any great dignity. As a matter of fact I thought the front shop was falling in and got out of it as quickly as possible.

Two runners from the north arrived this morning, but did not bring any very late news. I received a business wire from McArthur, P.S. dated 9th, and for the moment was very disappointed, thinking it was from Cape Town.

Staff news not yet published.

Two men from our fort Early’s were notified this morning as missing. It is thought they have gone over to the enemy; one of them, Evert, is a known sympathiser and the other, a German (Reek). This will give the enemy a lot of information as to provisions, etc. Great pity they were not caught and shot.

About 9 a.m, one of the town Cape Police (Brian) who was crossing the Court House enclosure coming from breakfast was shot in the fleshy part of the calf by a Mauser. It went clean through without touching the bone and is expected to soon heal. Almost immediately afterwards, and almost in the same spot, the telegraph linesman’s horse was shot through the lungs. The animal was at once taken round to the yard where the soup kitchen is arranged and despatched with a bullet through his brain, and will be cooked up for tomorrow’s native food supply.

During the afternoon the enemy were again very busy throwing their 94-pound lumps of steels and iron at us; in all up to 4 o’clock in the afternoon they sent us about twenty Big Bens alias Crietje shells. It is about time that gun was played out.

At about 8 o’clock this evening our look-out spotted the flash of Big Ben, rang his bell for all he was worth, and so gave us all time to get down under cover and so unconcernedly listen to the whizz of the huge shell which went over us and found its destination somewhere down at the B.S.A. camp. At sundown the gun was not even elevated, so all the blighters could do was to fire a blind shot.

This afternoon B.P. played a little trick on the Boers by removing, during the afternoon, our seven-pounder from the eastern trenches, and taking same in broad daylight right away out to our western outposts, and then immediately after dark bringing it back with wheels muffled and placing it in exactly the same position as previously held.

Our new 5-inch home-made gun went out this afternoon to fire her initial shot, A solid ball was fired and was found to carry an immense distance, right over Game Tree, but owing to some slight displacement she was returned to the fitting shop for repairs, but will again go out tomorrow afternoon and fire six shots for sighting purposes. They have also made round shrapnel for her with a time-fuse which after a little practice to regulate time, etc., will no doubt very much astonish Mr. Boer, and it is to be hoped will make him move a little further back.

The reply message was this morning received from the Queen. It seems to us, by all the news received, as if the home people are talking a good deal about Mafeking; at any rate so far it has been one bright spot in the campaign. 

Sent off wire to Dad through Ellen re publication matter.

An order sent round tonight to all the Town Guard forts instructs all to remain at their posts until 6.30 tomorrow morning. Staff very busy tonight, visiting rounds being doubled. This extra carefulness is owing to tomorrow being the Boer anniversary of Majuba day, and B.P. is on his guard against any eventualities.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds