Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Primrose Cemetery 11 years 4 months ago #6562

• iaindh
  • iaindh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 35
With it being rememberence day, I took the trouble to visit Primrose Cemetery as I thought there was a monument to the Imperial Light Horse. I didnt find this monument but I found these:

Iain
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 4 months ago #6564

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi Iain,
How old are these particular stones? glad to see you have lots of sunshine too! :)
Frank

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 4 months ago #6567

• iaindh
Hi Frank,
I'm not actually sure when the bodies were re-interred at Primrose so I'm not sure of the age. I shall try to find out for you. I only live about 2 miles away! But it is only on the second stone that it mentions that the bodies were re-interred.
On either side at the edge of this section of the graveyard, there are individual stones and other group stones from the ABW; its goosebump stuff.

Also on the second stone, there's a Sgt from from the Johannesburg Mounted Police; quite interesting I thought!
The weather's been fairly topsy turvy lately but yes, beautiful weather; today up to 27 C. :lol: luvit
regards, Iain

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 4 months ago #6568

• Frank Kelley
Hi Iain,
I noticed the Johannesburg Mounted Police and the Mounted Rifles, very interesting, I am rather envious of your 27 degrees, its about 7 degrees here! :(
Regards Frank

iaindh wrote: Hi Frank,
I'm not actually sure when the bodies were re-interred at Primrose so I'm not sure of the age. I shall try to find out for you. I only live about 2 miles away! But it is only on the second stone that it mentions that the bodies were re-interred.
On either side at the edge of this section of the graveyard, there are individual stones and other group stones from the ABW; its goosebump stuff.

Also on the second stone, there's a Sgt from from the Johannesburg Mounted Police; quite interesting I thought!
The weather's been fairly topsy turvy lately but yes, beautiful weather; today up to 27 C. :lol: luvit
regards, Iain

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 4 months ago #6570

• iaindh
Hi Frank,
the ILH aren't mentioned on the stone so maybe there is still a monument there to them. I distinctly remember reading somewhere that there was a monument to the ILH at Primrose cemetery?
Sorry about your weather, :P but you chose to live in the Mother country. B)
regards, Iain

Re: Primrose Cemetery 11 years 4 months ago #6571

• Frank Kelley
Hello Iain,
Well, I think today is a special one, the ILH monument I always think off is that in Braamfontein, I like the epitaph! :)
I remember back in 1999, when HM the Queen was in Natal for the Commonweath Heads of Government meeting in Durban, the poppy wreaths being laid at Spion Kop, it was the first time that I had seen the Boer War being thought of in the same way as the Great War, I've always felt that the former was a dress rehearsal for the latter. :(
Regards Frank

iaindh wrote: Hi Frank,
the ILH aren't mentioned on the stone so maybe there is still a monument there to them. I distinctly remember reading somewhere that there was a monument to the ILH at Primrose cemetery?
Sorry about your weather, :P but you chose to live in the Mother country. B)
regards, Iain

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.898 seconds