Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Henry Corbett Gorton, St Modwen's Church, Burton upon Trent 9 years 10 months ago #19862

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 716
The photograph below was taken by Frank Kelly during his mammoth stint of aiding my research on Trooper H C Gorton, Imperial Light Horse. Not shown is the accompanying memorial to Gorton's mother, Mary. Also copied below is a page from my biography of Gorton. This biography is too long (10 pages) to include on this forum, but if anyone wants a copy, please pm your e-mail address to me.

Brett

Gorton’s obituary in the ILH history ends by recording that, “A tablet was erected to his memory by a large number of his school friends in the Burton Parish Church.” The unveiling of this memorial was reported on by the Nottinghamshire Guardian of 29 December 1900. It is still in St Modwen’s Church today and is inscribed:

IN MEMORY OF
HENRY CORBETT GORTON
OF THIS TOWN
WHO WAS MORTALLY WOUNDED
ON WAGON HILL
WHILE FIGHTING AS A VOLUNTEER
IN THE IMPERIAL LIGHT HORSE AT THE
SIEGE OF LADYSMITH
THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY
SOME OF HIS OLD SCHOOL FELLOWS
PUPILS OF THE
BURTON GRAMMAR SCHOOL
BORN DIED
OCT 28th 1871 JAN 10th 1900

Apart from the tablet in St Modwen’s Church, and inscriptions on various war memorials, perhaps the only tangible reminder of Gorton’s life is his Queen’s South Africa Medal, with the clasps Elandslaagte and Defence of Ladysmith. This medal has been heavily polished, with the result that its numismatic grading has been reduced from EF to F-. It is likely that the polishing was done by his grieving mother, Mary Gorton, who outlived her son by 22 years. He was apparently the only one of her children who went abroad and died far from her home. Fittingly, they are remembered together in St Modwen’s Church, with Mary’s memorial being situated immediately below that of her son. It reads:

IN AFFECTIONATE MEMORY OF
THE BEST OF MOTHERS
MARY GORTON
WHO DIED MARCH 13th 1922
THIS TABLET HAS BEEN PLACED IN
THE CHURCH
SHE SO GREATLY LOVED
BY HER
SONS AND DAUGHTERS
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Henry Corbett Gorton, St Modwen's Church, Burton upon Trent 9 years 10 months ago #19864

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Morning Brett,

Think you already have my email address but have pm'd you

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Henry Corbett Gorton, St Modwen's Church, Burton upon Trent 5 years 9 months ago #59413

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939
Grave: Ladysmith, Intombi Cemetery

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey

Henry Corbett Gorton, St Modwen's Church, Burton upon Trent 5 years 8 months ago #59414

• Brett Hendey
Many thanks Elmarie. In all my collection, Gorton's story is still the one that moves me the most, and I still use his QSA as my avatar.

Regards
Brett

Henry Corbett Gorton, St Modwen's Church, Burton upon Trent 5 years 8 months ago #59417

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey

Henry Corbett Gorton, St Modwen's Church, Burton upon Trent 5 years 8 months ago #59418

• Brett Hendey
Thank you Frank. Now that I have plenty of time on my hands, I am pleased to be reminded of 'Dickie' Gorton. You added so much to his story that it came to stand out from all the others in my collection - an already exceptional life cut short by his sense of duty. I hope he finds a new home as appreciative as his present one.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.589 seconds