Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Hello,Looking for some help. 9 years 3 months ago #24495

• carlowgirl
  • carlowgirl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, My Grandfather Thomas Maher from Carlow Ireland was in the Boer war,but that is all the information I have, I have no idea what regiment etc. I have a photo taken of him at this time which I believe was 1901.

I had this information from a geneological site that says :The Rifle is a Lee Henry Mrk I he is also Wearing webbing loop bandolier from right shoulder,slouch hat. It us from the Boar War. The picture is not very clear,but I would love if anyone could recognise the uniform and place it for me. He would have inlisted from his home town in Carlow I would think, I do know his son John Maher later joined the Royal Dublin Fusiliers in World War 1 and died in Bienvillers military cemetery france
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello,Looking for some help. 9 years 3 months ago #24496

• carlowgirl
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
That should say was buried in Bienvillers.:)

Hello,Looking for some help. 9 years 3 months ago #24497

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Hello Carlowgirl......

Thought I would check FMP and there were no T. Maher's but there was this man..... Note in the notes, I have highlighted the important part in Red....... I do not know if it is your man or did he survive the war......

Mike

First name(s) J
Last name Maher

Service number(s) 6394
Rank Private
Regiment Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Notes [Anglo-Boer War Memorials Project] Initial 'T'

Memorials St Stephen's Green. Arch. Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Dublin, DUBLIN, Eire

Units

Unit: 1 Royal Dublin Fusiliers Battalion, Rank: Private, Number: 6394
Casualty units Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Casualty details Died of Dysentery on 04 April 1900 at Estcourt (Official casualty roll location: Estcourt)

Casualty notes

Casualty source Natal Field Force. JB Hayward & Sons

Gazzetteer [2828: 2859-2952] a town in Natal Colony (Estcourt district; KwaZulu-Natal), 28 km south of Colenso.

In the early stages of the war, the town was garrisoned by some 150 men of the Natal Royal Rifles and a squadron of the Imperial Light Horse. It was increased by the retirement of the Colenso garrison to Estcourt on 2 November 1899 and the arrival of the 1st The Border regiment from Pietermaritzburg*, the garrison being commanded by Brig-Gen J.W. Murray until 11 November when he was succeeded by Col C.J. Long, RHA, and on 15 November by Maj-Gen H.J.T. Hildyard. Armoured recconaissance trains were pushed northwards from Estcourt station towards Colenso*, including the train ambushed at Blaauwkrantz* on 15 November. By this time the garrison comprised some 800 mounted troops, 4,400 infantry and artillery. Attempting to outflank the British at Estcourt, the Boers were defeated at Brynbella Hill* or Willow Grange* and retired without threatening Estcourt. Thereafter, the town was an important staging post for troops involved in attempts to relieve the siege of Ladysmith*. HMG I pp.262, 264, 269 and 273 (maps nos.3 and 4); Times II pp.131, 300, 304-305, 308, 315 and 317-318 (map facing p.316); Breytenbach pp.362-375 passim (map facing p.384).
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Hello,Looking for some help. 9 years 3 months ago #24498

• carlowgirl
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you for your reply QSAMike, No that is not my Grandfather, He was injured in the war but didn't die until late 30's (on his death cert it said he died from war wounds or something like that) :) I looked on here and found a T Maher that was in the Royal Leinster Canadians and I looked that up on google and the Royal Leinster started out in Canada but later moved to Ireland.. Carlo in in Leinster so it could fit, but am not sure.

Hello,Looking for some help. 9 years 3 months ago #24502

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Thomas Maher is a very common name and there are a number of possible men, do you know his date of birth?
The following user(s) said Thank You: carlowgirl

Hello,Looking for some help. 9 years 3 months ago #24506

• carlowgirl
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I haven't got his birth date, but I know he was married to Ellen Bigley in May 1892 and was of "full age, his wife was born in 1870 so he could be circa that time. There are a lot of Thomas Maher's but perhaps being from Carlow would narrow it down? Thank you for your help Frank.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.454 seconds