Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lilywhites Hussars research from USA 5 years 1 month ago #62351

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
Mike,

Just what is this Cavalry list you refer to?

George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lilywhites Hussars research from USA 5 years 1 month ago #62353

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
George...…

The list is from a fellow collector who has gone through all the medal rolls and compounded a list of all the members of the cavalry who served in South Africa. I also checked Find My Past and he is not listed there.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Georgegt351

Lilywhites Hussars research from USA 5 years 2 weeks ago #62779

• Hambrook
  • Hambrook's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Cynbro
Sorry I took so long to reply. It went into my Spam box and I only checked the Spam box today. Yes, my grandfather Frederick Hambrook May was married to a widow namely, Christina Greyling. I have that on my father's birth certificate though I did not have the year they (Frederick and Christina) were married so that was new to me. She had two children from her first husband, Paul Greyling (who died in Ceylon during the Boer War) The eldest child, a boy was Paul and the girl Louie was actually born in Bethulie Camp. After marrying Frederick May she had another 11 children but twins died, I believe, at birth so 9 were left. They are Frederick, the eldest of the boys, then my dad, George William, then Billy. The girls were Florence, Lily, Lizzie, Mable, Jessie, and Winnie. My Dad, George William (known as Jock) was born in Wepener in 1911 but brought up in Mafeking where the family moved and where Frederick Hambrook was a warden at the Mafeking jail. He died in 1938 in Johannesburg.

I notice you also live in the USA, who was your father or mother?
Kindest regards

Lilywhites Hussars research from USA 5 years 2 weeks ago #62786

• CynBro
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you for your response. I noticed another son, Arthur Douglas Haig May who may have been the youngest. They were all listed on Christina's DN. My Grandmother was Jessie who married Theo Bruning and had 3 children - my mother Lorraine being one. I can't seem to find anything more about the May family. Would love to place Frederic Hambrook May's parents on my tree, as well as Christina's.

My parents are Lorraine Bruning and Ivan Milligan and I live in small town in the Western Cape, SA. Pleased to make contact!
Warmest Regards

Lilywhites Hussars research from USA 5 years 2 weeks ago #62788

• Hambrook
  • Hambrook's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Nice to hear from you. You must be my second cousin. Jessie was my Aunt (I knew her well when I was little) and Lorraine is my 1st cousin. She may remember me. I am Jock May's daughter. My maiden name was May. My brother was George. There was no son of Frederick and Christina called Arthur. However, Frederick's father's name was Arthur May. Frederick Hambrook May was born in 1870 in Canterbury, Kent, England, son of Arthur and Louisa Lavinia May. Louisa Lavina's maiden name was Bradford. I have Frederick Hambrook May's birth certificate with his parents names on it and I have his father, Arthur May's birth certificate. Also Christina's maiden name was Rebb not Webb. I know the Cape well.
Kindest regards

Lilywhites Hussars research from USA 2 years 6 months ago #78397

• CynBro
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi. I was so sure I had responded to your last message, but I obviously didn't, and then I have been without internet for a while. Unfortunately I bring news of my mother, who passed away in January 2020. I did speak of you to my mother, and she did remember you. I trust you are well. Warm Regards, Cynthia.
My email is [email protected]

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.455 seconds