Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Robert Grendon (1867-1949), 'coloured' driver of forge wagon, 42nd B.R.F.A. 12 years 4 months ago #1692

• Nongamu
  • Nongamu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
A couple of years ago, I obtained a PhD from UKZN for my thesis on the pioneering 'coloured' South African poet and journalist, Robert Grendon (1867 to 1949). Currently, I am editing Grendon's epic poem, Paul Kruger's Dream for publication. It includes a footnote in which he states that he was a driver of the forge wagon of the 42nd Battery R.F.A. and present at the Battle of Bergendal. He describes as 'my intimate friend' a Gunner Cooper (nicknamed 'Skin') also in this battery. Grendon relates that some of his poetic lines were inspired by a conversation that he and Cooper had 'on the morning after the Battle of Bergendaal [sic], August 28th, 1900, on the march with General Buller's columns to Machadodorp in pursuit of Paul Kruger and his band.'

I would dearly like to establish the identity of Cooper and to find out more about Grendon's involvement in the AB War.

Grendon's surname is sometimes misspelt 'Grandon'.

I can be contacted at grantchristison at hotmail dot com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Robert Grendon (1867-1949), 'coloured' driver of forge wagon, 42nd B.R.F.A. 12 years 4 months ago #1693

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi, just had a quick look at the 42nd Battery R.F.A. roll and noted several men with the surname Cooper. I've got to go out now but will see if I can come up with anything later.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Robert Grendon (1867-1949), 'coloured' driver of forge wagon, 42nd B.R.F.A. 12 years 4 months ago #1694

• Mark Wilkie
Hi,

Seems that there were two Gunner Coopers at Bergendal (ie. Belfast clasp listed on the Queen South Africa Medal (QSA) roster). Now to work out which of these two men was "Skin."
60386 Gnr. Frederick G Cooper (Belfast clasp: also Elandslaagte & Defence of Ladysmith; KSA with South Africa 1901 & 1902 clasps)
75814 Gnr. John Lewis Cooper (Belfast clasp: also Elandslaagte, Defence of Ladysmith & OFS; KSA with South Africa 1901 & 1902 clasps)

These were the other Coopers I found listed for 42nd Battery, Royal Field Artillery. None of these men had Belfast clasps. Only two of them were Gunners. One was an officer and the other a driver.
92971 Gnr. John Cooper (No Belfast clasp, invalided)
94458 Gnr. James Cooper (No Belfast clasp, invalided)
3458 Dvr. F. Cooper (No Belfast clasp, note saying he was attached from RHA)
2Lt. C G A Cooper (No Belfast clasp)

I haven't been able to find anything on Robert Grendon yet.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Robert Grendon (1867-1949), 'coloured' driver of forge wagon, 42nd B.R.F.A. 12 years 4 months ago #1695

• Nongamu
  • Nongamu's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you very much for all of this, Mark. If you do manage to turn up more, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Grendon is beginning to be recognised in the academe as one of the greatest of South Africa's earliest black poets writing in English. Every detail that we can add to the general picture of the man and his world will serve to 'flesh' him out.
I may tell you here though that he was the son of Joseph Grendon (an Irishman who fought in the Indian Mutiny) and a Herero woman, 'Maria'. Maria was a daughter of Maharero, a prominent Herero leader (circa 1820 - 1890). Grendon had an excellent grammar school education at Zonnebloem College in Cape Town, and matriculated in 1889.

Re: Robert Grendon (1867-1949), 'coloured' driver of forge wagon, 42nd B.R.F.A. 12 years 4 months ago #1697

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4511
Nongamu,

That is a fascinating story.

The only addition I can make is that the soldier's papers (giving biographical information) for both men are available on line at FMP. These might give you some useful background information but whether they will explain the nickname I doubt!

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Robert Grendon (1867-1949), 'coloured' driver of forge wagon, 42nd B.R.F.A. 12 years 4 months ago #1703

• Mark Wilkie
Hi Grant,

I've done a bit of reading on Robert Grendon. I've read through 'Then came the Whiteman' in Grappling with the Beast and others and it would seem that Grendon was in Natal in 1900. Any idea when his work as a driver with the 42nd Battery, RFA started? If he was in Natal in late 1899 I guess it is conceivable that he was besieged in Ladysmith with the 42nd Battery, RFA and may have even been present at the Battle of Elandslaagte. Another possibility could be he was a driver with Buller's relief forces and then was attached to the "liberated" 42nd Battery after the Relief of Ladysmith. In this case he may have witnessed some of the early Natal battles. Then again, he may have joined when Buller resumed his advance after the Relief of Ladysmith. Any other notes in his works about the Boer War which may provide clues as to the duration of time spent with the RFA?

Cheers,

Mark

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.072 seconds