Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Waldrons Scouts History, list of members and photos 8 years 9 months ago #41884

• Waldrons Scouts
  • Waldrons Scouts's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
My name is Gary Bartlett and I,m researching Waldrons Scouts (aka Waldons) through a family connection to John Francis Livingstone Lightbody - from Drik Drik Victoria, died Durban, Natal in 1903 (pneumonia - unmarked grave). It was a small unit set up around September 1901 in Standerton SE Transvaal, I think slightly over 30 members, to raid and harass, in this part of the Transvaal / OFS. It was led by Captain Wm Hugh Waldron, an Australian working in South Africa, who had been a Sutler, including at the Seige of Ladysmith, and elsewhere. No formal unit roll, medal roll ( other than some medals in the 4th National Scouts, later led by Captain Waldron, and some men who later also served in Steinaeckers Horse - Bill Woolmores wonderful book - and a few other medal rolls) or British Army unit history. survived or existed. Its members came from South African colonials, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Great Britain and probably elsewhere
Waldrons Scouts was badly depleted in an ambush, known as the Klip River action, in November 1901 and disbanded early in 1902. WH Waldron stayed in South Africa and died in a car crash in the OFS in 1935. He is buried in the Braamfontein Cemetery and his grave was recently overhauled, with a new plaque "The forgotten soldier"
I want to prepare a list of members, a small bio, and hopefully photos, and do a small booklet, on Waldrons Scouts for those interested, family etc.. The medal roll and book mentioned above have been a great source of names, also newspapers on the WWW , general google searches, and some library searches have added a few more. A local historian near WH Waldrons home here in Victoria has done a lot of work on Captain Waldron, with another Melbourne historian working on listing all Victorians who served in all units, including Waldrons Scouts,

My list of names is incomplete and any help in filling the gaps, or able to provide photos, or some family details for all members is much appreciated.
Thanks
Gary Bartlett
Warrnambool Victoria Australia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Waldrons Scouts History, list of members and photos 8 years 9 months ago #41885

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1537
Gary
The SAFF casualty list shows the following casualties at Klip River near Platrand on 12.11.1901 -

7 Pte J.V.Kearns KiA, 6 Pte A.Sims Sev. Wdd., 23 R.M.P.Toppin, Dang.Wdd., 19, Pte M.Bray, Sev.Wdd, 20 Pte J. Warren, Sev Wdd, 9 Pte B.E.Luffman, Dang. Wdd, 22 Pte G.RobsonDang. WDD, 8 Pte J.H.Rowe, Dang. Wdd.
Pte Toppin died 12.01.1902 and Pte Rowe died 04.01.1902.
In the final section of the SAFF, it shows n/n Pte W.A.E.Elgy, Died of Disease at Howick, 23.01.1902.

Chamberlain and Droogleever's book "The War with Johnny Boer" has a letter from J.Sims concerning the action; where 27 men of Waldron's Scouts were ambushed by 200 men of Botha's Commando. This book should be easily obtained here in OZ.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Waldrons Scouts History, list of members and photos 8 years 9 months ago #41896

• Waldrons Scouts
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks IL, Another part of the jigsaw. I started my search about 4 years ago and i,m looking forward to telling their story.
regards,
Gary

Waldrons Scouts History, list of members and photos 8 years 9 months ago #41923

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4510
Gary,

it would be great to shed more light on Waldron's Scouts. Good luck with your research.
Dr David Biggins

Waldrons Scouts History, list of members and photos 8 years 9 months ago #41924

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4510
Thanks IL.

I hadn't come across that book before.

Here's a review of it. www.thefreelibrary.com/Chamberlain,+Max+...er%3A...-a0119781326
Dr David Biggins

Waldrons Scouts History, list of members and photos 8 years 6 months ago #43370

• Waldrons Scouts
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I recently completed a list of the members of Waldons/Waldrons Scouts whose service I can confirm (attached). I,m seeking to obtain further details or photographs of these men or hopefully the names of additional members.

Thanks
Gary Bartlett

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.445 seconds