Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Charles George Francis 5 years 2 weeks ago #62724

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Indeed, very clearly, two completely different people, so apart from just a name, what was it that made you think he was your own grandfather?

Wayne64 wrote:

Frank Kelley wrote: Interestingly, WO97 also suggests that he was actually born in Hammersmith, I wonder if we are talking about two different people.

My Grandad was definately born January 1885 in Norwich Frank, so I think your man is a different person but thank you for looking

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charles George Francis 5 years 2 weeks ago #62725

• Wayne64
  • Wayne64's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My Father told me that Charles George was involved in this war, he obviously wasnt. Im not an expert in researching military, a complete amateur in fact.
Sorry to waste your time

Charles George Francis 5 years 2 weeks ago #62726

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 135
Wayne
Not a waste of time. Every day is a school day. We enjoy the intellectual exercise of research. If we've helped you that is enough for us.
Best regards
Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wayne64

Charles George Francis 5 years 2 weeks ago #62728

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Wayne
I quite agree with Volunteer Peter. A new member to the site can only ask questions based on the data he has been given. No shame in being an amateur - oddly enough, we all started out that way! Take the setback on your chin, keep digging.
All the best in your quest.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wayne64

Charles George Francis 5 years 2 weeks ago #62731

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Well, I don't think you have wasted anyone's time, certainly not mine, you know if you do not ask, you do not get, I was just interested when I looked at Francis because of the differences between him and your own grandfather, based upon the information you had given.

You could certainly attest before a local worthy to join the Army, you could lie about your age and place of birth, you could even blag your way into the Depot the following day, be given a bed in the Receiving Room for the night.

However the day after, the one thing that a fourteen year old boy could not do would be to convince the doctor who examined him, that his age was physically equivalent to a man of twenty years of age, which Francis was.
Although, in reality, a fourteen year did not have to go to all that trouble anyway, he could still join the Army, the Cavalry or Royal Engineers for example quite openly and deliberately, a great many did, but, to be appointed a Private in the Infantry was another matter altogether.

Wayne64 wrote: My Father told me that Charles George was involved in this war, he obviously wasnt. Im not an expert in researching military, a complete amateur in fact.
Sorry to waste your time

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.773 seconds