Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Royal Fusiliers 1898 to 1910 - Discharge Signature Problem

Royal Fusiliers 1898 to 1910 - Discharge Signature Problem 2 months 3 weeks ago #64464

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 685
Logie
According to Edward M Spiers' "The Late Victorian Army", the War Office experimented with the "recruiting age band" and set a recruiting age of nineteen to twenty five years from 1881 to 1883; when it was restored to eighteen to twenty five years. Of course, the difficulty for the Medical Officer undertaking a recruit's examination was whether the stated age corresponded with what he had in front of him. Doubtless, the official line was blurred on numerous occasions. Every enlistment paper I have seen has provision for a signature and usually the handwriting was good to excellent.
Standards of literacy amongst soldiers of the Victorian era appear to be the subject of some dispute. By 1889, the Army annual returns described just 1.9% of other ranks as illiterate; with 85.4% rated as possessing a "superior education". Those percentages were disputed by the Director of Military Education based on the soldiers who possessed a 4th class Army Education Certificate.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: logie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Royal Fusiliers 1898 to 1910 - Discharge Signature Problem 2 months 3 weeks ago #64484

• logie
  • logie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
The birth date given at enlistment in 1895 may now make sense. He wanted to enter and stay in the army for at least 12 years (as a batman). As yet, no birth record can be traced though we know the father's name and a marriage date. We don't have the enlistment record, only the discharge paper/parchment. He attained both 3rd and 2nd class Army Education Certificates. The symbol (s/d) appears twice; for "Man" and "Commanding Officer" a colonel of the 4th Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers in Dublin at the time of reserve transfer in 1906. It does look like a routine use of the device to speed admin up. The document we have (form D 426) was likely created at discharge in 1910 from other records by a Lieutenant or Captain (signature unreadable).

Thanks again

Royal Fusiliers 1898 to 1910 - Discharge Signature Problem 2 months 3 weeks ago #64493

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 28
Logie
If your man's number was 6584, there are 4 pages of service papers on Findmypast

search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM/WO...GBM/WO97/4241/476559

Pete

PS your man's birth was registered in 4th qu of 1869 as HARRY

search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BMD/B/...1869/4/AZ/000006/274

Royal Fusiliers 1898 to 1910 - Discharge Signature Problem 2 months 3 weeks ago #64495

• logie
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
There are 176 occurrences of that service number and only one is an Aird and it’s a Henry.
Harry Aird was also an enlisted man. Both had the same dad, Charles. How did you conclude that Henry was Harry? Did you search FMP and get that as a hint? My dad, John Henry, was nicknamed as Harry Boy in East London as a lad. I have a death certificate for Henry but no birth certificate. For Harry I have a birth certificate but no death certificate.

Royal Fusiliers 1898 to 1910 - Discharge Signature Problem 2 months 3 weeks ago #64500

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 28
Logie
Do you have access to Findmypast ?

1881 census
search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBC/18...=GBC/1881/0005995814

Note
Father Charles G
Mother Eliza
Older brother William
Younger brothers John and Albert
Sisters Harriet, Janet, Lizzie

This coincides precisely with next of kin details from the service papers I linked.

I never found a better confirmation of identity.

If you don't have access to Findmypast get your email address to me and will copy details to you.

Best

Peter
Attachments:

Royal Fusiliers 1898 to 1910 - Discharge Signature Problem 2 months 2 weeks ago #64541

• logie
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I obtained similar results using the FreeBMD site, but the census results are clear.
Harry invented a younger self to take the Queens shilling but fearful of discovery he failed to regain his true identity. It’s my belief my dad found out and kept it quiet, but modern research tools have revealed what had been hidden. BTW Charles does not appear to have actually married Eliza, but the Grave Photographic Record site confirms they lived as man and wife. Thanks again for the help, I’ll be investing in the FMP (I have a free account) once my sister comes back from China and can join in again.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.638 seconds