Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New England Mounted Rifles

New England Mounted Rifles 5 years 10 months ago #15355

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 553
It is very encouraging to read of a local resident taking such a deep interest in the area's 'home guard' during the Boer War. This is the only way the history of such a unit will come to be written. The fact that there are local families with links going back to the Boer War means there is some hope of finding hitherto unknown letters, diaries and other records preserved in their farmhouses. The NEMR may not have played a profound part in the Boer War, but it is significant in the record of the war as a whole.

While there may be little direct assistance in this project from members of this forum, I feel sure that we all wish you well and look forward to reading of progress in the research and, ultimately, the final outcome.

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New England Mounted Rifles 5 years 10 months ago #15357

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 801
Hello Fiona,
The answers to your questions are all in your own country, I am in Great Britain so I cannot really offer you any help.
From memory I think it was Captain Norton who was in command during the Anglo Boer War, although, I am sure he delegated much to Captain Sephton, he was senior I think.
The NEMR were not part of the "Cape" SAMIF class D1 and D2, moreover, they were not attested as such and were merely enrolled in way of the District Mounted Troops.
As a result there are no papers for them in WO126 and no nominal roll in WO127 at Kew.
You should note that this unit only existed with this title for the Anglo Boer War, however, both the New England Volunteers and the New England Contingent had been raised by the Cape Government for the Ninth Kaffir War and the Basutoland campaign in 1880.
You should consult the Cape Government Gazette, the Argus and Cape Times for the period, notices were placed in all.
We do have a small number of returns in CO48 at Kew for these Campaigns that do give some detail for a particular given man.
So, date and place of enlistment, date and place of discharge, along with the name of the resident magistrate etc.
These were filled in and returned to the AAG Cape Colonial Forces, who then sent them to the Governor of the Cape Colony, who then forwarded them to the Colonial Secretary, here in Great Britain.
I think I would also, if I were you, pop over to Kimberley and have a look at the Diamond Fields Advertiser for the period in question.
Again welcome here and good luck to you, I regret not being able to help you.
Kind regards Frank Kelley
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

New England Mounted Rifles 5 years 10 months ago #15360

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 326
Hi Fiona

The Court of Enquiry held on the matter concerning 2 officers and 30 men of the NEMR under Lt Giddy stated:
Posted at Winter's nek, near Barkly East, to scout and patrol, with orders to retire, if attacked, into Herschel Mountains or Barkly East. They, however, moved to Lauriston to get better grazing for horses. Camp rushed in the early morning
The 2 officers and 30 men were not exonerated: The Court consider there were insufficient sentries, scouting etc, and post should not have been moved.
There is a reference to a War Office paper WO 0103/2344 : if this could be traced at the National Archives there is bound to be a full account of the enquiry.

Henk

New England Mounted Rifles 5 years 10 months ago #15376

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 659
Hello Fiona from a very warm Pietermaritzburg.

If memory serves I was recently asked by a family in nearby Hilton for a valuation on a number of medals, 3 of which were to the Sephton's of New England fame including that to the Captain. (there appear to have been a total of 4 to that surname in the medal rolls)

I am in communication wiith this family and it is on the wife's side where the connection comes in, i.e. it is she who hails from your neighborhood.

Regards

Rory

New England Mounted Rifles 5 years 10 months ago #15495

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Fiona,

Welcome to the forum. You have an interesting project here. There is a QSA to SJ Marais on Liverpool Medals website and I am fortunate enough to have a QSA to AG Brummer in my collection.

All the best with your project.

Jim

New England Mounted Rifles 1 month 1 week ago #65304

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1497
The medal roll for the New England Mounted Rifles is in WO100/263 pages 1 to 13.

The AG2 date suggests 148 medals were issued 1 November 1904 and a further 15 on 16 November 1905. The number of medals issued on the supplementary QSA roll (page 11) is blank.

Going through the pages, I would estimate a nett of 122 medals.

The examples I have found:

QSA (0). (Lt D J Roberts). City Coins #18. QSA (3) CC OFS Tr. Dixon December 1995. Duncan James Roberts served as a Corporal in Montmorency's Scouts before joining C Squadron, South Rhodesia Volunteers as a Sergeant Scout (attached Thomeycroft's Mounted Infantry). Commissioned into the New England Mounted Rifles as a Lieutenant.

QSA (0). (98 Pte M F Diesel New Eng. M.R.). City Coins August 1998 and September 2003

QSA (0). (180 Pte J Scharnek New Eng: M.R.). Spink July 2019

QSA (0). (10 Pte A G Brummer Sen. New Eng. M.R.). City Coins August 2008

QSA (0). (Pte T Morgenoth). Liverpool August 1996. Noted on the roll as killed.

QSA (0). (Pte S J Marais). Liverpool Medals via Jim
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.611 seconds