Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Lumsden's Horse Photograph 7 years 5 months ago #49712

• RoyS
  • RoyS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 18
Following on from a comment in a recent post, I thought I would share one of my favorite period photographs which I hope will be of interest.

This group photograph shows members of Lumsden's Horse an Anglo-Indian mounted volunteer unit. I have identified the officer (front/center) as Second Leftenant (later Captain) Holmes. Of interest (to me) is that he is armed with a private purchase No2 pattern Lee-Speed rifle (most likely by BSA), this was of interest to me as I collect these rifles. The uniform and equipment is of interest too as it appears for the most part to be specific to this unit (?). I'm also looking out for any insignia to this unit.

Anyway a great image and one I hope is of interest.

Cheerio,

Roy

Collecting/wanted ABW insignia if anyone has some spares?

My website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lumsden's Horse Photograph 7 years 5 months ago #49713

• Baden Powell
  • Thank you received: 34
Hi RoyS - Great Photo, first I have seen showing the Lee Speed Carbine. I've owned two in the past. One retailed by P. Wesley & Sons and so marked along the top of the barrel. Sadly I bought it from a "sporterizer shooter " who had removed the finish from the forestock by scraping it and thereby the metal surfaces did not fit snugly, oh he also lost the horn fore end. The other was a presentation piece. The stock had an inserted Ivory Oval Plaque inscribed " Capt. G. E. The Earl Sondes, Hon. Maj., presented this LEE SPEED to his Commanding Officer, Maj. E. Freshen, Hon. Lt. Col. on his Departure to South Africa ". Both were in the Royal East Kent Yeomanry. While I owned it, I had the pleasure to meet the Current Earl Sondes at the Houston Gun Show. He was unable to provide any insight on its history. Oh, it was retailed by Watson Bros., Old Bond Street.
Baden Powell

Lumsden's Horse Photograph 7 years 5 months ago #49714

• Baden Powell
  • Thank you received: 34
Correction RoyS - That's P. Webley & Sons. Too late at night for me.
Baden Powell

Lumsden's Horse Photograph 7 years 5 months ago #49715

• RoyS
  • RoyS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 18
Hi Baden Powell,

Many thanks for that. I'm pleased you liked the photograph. I was thrilled to find it, especially as I have a No2 Lee-Speed in my modest collection (see pic attached), so it was really great to see a contemporary picture showing the same. Gosh that presentation Lee-Speed you mentioned must have been something special, so rare to find one with history like that.

I have one example that is a No1 pattern by William Evans. I was able to find out a little history as the gun company is still in business, so they sent me scans of the original order book etc. Just a few details but really great even to get that.

I have attached a pic of my No2 Lee-Speed which is the same rifle as Holmes has in the photo - thought it would be of interest.

Cheerio,

Roy

Collecting/wanted ABW insignia if anyone has some spares?

Attachments:

Lumsden's Horse Photograph 7 years 5 months ago #49716

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Roy
Those Lee-Speed rifles and carbines are beautiful examples of workmanship. I have had an interest in Lumsden's Horse ever since I ran across an interesting group containing an LH QSA. Must do a post on it some time. Your Capt. Holmes was in charge of LH's Maxim detachment. See attached pic. On the bottom RH of the pic will be seen Sergt. Dale (also of the Maxim detachment); whose medal group I mentioned above. Small world.
By the way, LH did have some relatively non-standard gear. The sort-of slouch hat seen on some of them appears to have been made of cotton with a reinforced (sewn) brim.

Regards
IL.
Attachments:

Lumsden's Horse Photograph 7 years 5 months ago #49724

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
What a fascinating thread. it goes to show how much there is to learn (and how little I know!).
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.626 seconds